Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Got it running on my Mac with WINE  (Read 2795 times)

whaleberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got it running on my Mac with WINE
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

So, I tried installing WINE on my girlfriend's mac to get DF running.  I think everything installed properly, but when I try running it I get this error.

err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000be4 at address 0x92b3882a (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000be4 in 32-bit code (0x92b3882a).

Then there is a register dump and a lot of other stuff. 

I tried running 31.03 and 31.01 but both have the same problem.  Anyone have any ideas what I should do?  Googling makes it sound like it's a graphics driver issue, but I can't figure out what to do about it.

I'm using:
Tiger 10.4.11
X11 1.1.3 - XFree86 4.4.0     
wine-1.1.43

I'm not sure what glxgears is exactly, but people on forums seem to ask about it.  When I run it with X11 open I get the error:
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

Also glxinfo gives:
name of display: :0.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 01:03:34 am by whaleberg »

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 03:54:07 am »

I don't have an FPS count, but it sure feels slower then then 40D17 did.  Which is not really a surprise given that a) it's based on slower OpenGL code, b) Toady added a bitch-load of cool stuff, and c) it's being emulated.

And I've had a few CTDs (crashes to desktop). But I'm not reporting them as bugs because if WINE's the problem there's not much Toady can do about it.

Nick

AUGH
wine stands for "WINE IS NOT an EMULATOR," please don't call it an emulator >.>

Wine is a compatibility layer.  There's actually a significant world of difference - wine just takes your windows function calls and translates them into operating-system native calls.  An emulator will pretend to be a full CPU - which is many times slower than a compatibility layer ever would be.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.

error stuff
Try updating XFree86 to 4.8.0 if possible.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:00:45 am by Locriani »
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 05:33:35 am »

I tried BootCamp, but my copy of Windows is too old. It's XP SP:1. If I could load it up it would automatically upgrade itself to SP2, which can run on BootCamp, but solving that particular chicken/egg problem is a lot harder then downloading WINE.
There are some tutorials on the net for upgrading a Windows CD to contain newer service packs, but IIRC you need Windows to do it (it requires running the SP installer).
e.g. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

I don't know if that helps at all.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

whaleberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »

Erm.  I can't figure out how to upgrade xfree86.  Xfree86.org doesn't seem to have working download links, and the whole thing is extremely confusing to me.  I'm not a linux using person... and the fact that it's on a Mac makes it even more confusing to me.  Do you know of a tutorial or at least a place I could find a working download?
Pages: 1 [2]