Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Codename: @ (or, "kill my neighbour!") (HFS)  (Read 1736 times)

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Codename: @ (or, "kill my neighbour!") (HFS)
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:13 am »

So the human Ino Wingfolds set out to quest for fame, glory, and all the wolf-blood spatters he could eat.
Whilst the latter was easily enough to come by, the first two proved harder - all the villages and towns he visited were "quite untroubled".
Until Ino came to Actmops.
In Actmops' town hall, Ino met a bizarre pair - the human warlord Isun Ploturged, who spent her youth taming giant tigers, and the law-giver Forile, an opossum demon.
Wait, what?
Ino held a pleasant conversation with the hideous creature, who suggested that Isun might have some work for him. Taking the demon's advice, he took two steps to the right and spoke to the warlord, who proposed a task for him - slay Forile, an opossum demon and a drunk, who could be found in Actmops... right next to her. No list of heinous acts was offered to justify this order - the demon's very nature appeared to be reason enough.
Despite being inexperienced and daunted by the idea of murdering such an amiable creature, Ino complied - attacking Forile, who fell from the balcony shouting "I am Forile! Prepare to die!". Before Ino could charge downstairs to finish the job, however, he was met with another challenge - "I am Isun Ploturged! Prepare to die!" Apparently this contract was not meant to be fulfilled in public.
Both fell to Ino's sword, and he was forced to flee south and take refuge with the dwarves...

Looking at legends mode, it turns out Forile was masquerading as a manifestation of Isun's god, Copgur. I like to think that some secretive faction business was involved, or that Isun saw through Forile's charade. Am a little disappointed that Isun tried to kill me for completing her task and attacking a fellow member of her civ - can this be considered a bug? Could there be a script tweak that automatically makes a quest target qualify as an enemy (or at least neutral) to the quest giver and perhaps, by extension, their civilization?
From this experience, I also like the idea of meeting the occasional cloaked figure who gives out procedural assassination missions; I'm sure it's somewhere in Toady's goal list.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Codename: @ (or, "kill my neighbour!") (HFS)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:55 am »

Its a bug. ;D An amusing one, at that.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:43 am »

If you survived longer, you would have found that that battle might have caused a fun little loyalty cascade. It can cause a civilization to be enemies with itself.

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:43:06 pm »

And now you have caused a civil war by slaying a member of a faction on behalf of a member of that faction, becoming a member of that faction and also an enemy of that faction, which results in people becoming enemies with a member of their own faction, resulting in people becoming enemies with everyone in their own faction.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:54:58 pm »

You actually don't join an entity until you've reported back from at least one successful quest.  Unless he managed to speak to the enraged quest-giver and receive congratulations ("Congratulations!  I'm going to kill you now."), there shouldn't be a loyalty cascade.

Actually, now that I think about it, he probably hails from that civ.  So he's already a member.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 05:56:00 pm »

If it crashes your game, it's a bug.  If it generates Fun, it's a feature.
Logically, this is a feature.

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »

You actually don't join an entity until you've reported back from at least one successful quest.  Unless he managed to speak to the enraged quest-giver and receive congratulations ("Congratulations!  I'm going to kill you now."), there shouldn't be a loyalty cascade.

Actually, now that I think about it, he probably hails from that civ.  So he's already a member.
Nope, I've caused a loyalty cascade in a goblin civ. doing this exact thing. I definitely wasn't a member of the civ, and it was the first quest I obtained. You have to complete the quest to cause the loyalty cascade, not report it.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

Odd.  I could have sworn I didn't see that "<something> Mercenary" relationship unless I reported the deed.

Meh.  Memory failure.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »

Thought I'd track down Ino to see if he'd qualified as a mercenary. This is what he had to say:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Haven't seen any signs of a loyalty cascade, but Ino's new dwarf buddies joined the fight against the bounty hunter and it was a dwarven crossbowman that eventually felled him. Peace between the nations may be straining.
I'll take Ino back out into the wild and see if he causes any riots.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral