Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unsafe to eat  (Read 1808 times)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
Unsafe to eat
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »

I'm trying to mod kobolds to be poisonous to eat, ala Nethack and other rougelikes.

I'm not having much luck in this regard, however. Using [SELECT_TISSUE_X] and trying to give it syndromes doesn't make them unsafe to eat in any way. The closest I got is making their blood a contact poison, but that's hardly ideal, considering it means cutting them causes all sort of bad things, and it still doesn't actually make -kobold meat- unsafe to eat.

Is this just another fool's errand I'm wasting time on, or is there a way to manage this? I suppose it doesn't actually affect anything anyways in the end.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Unsafe to eat
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:24:18 pm »

Next time poisons get a pass of feature addition (i believe the popular term is "low-hanging fruit"), there's a good chance that ingested poisons and/or better contact poisons might go in.

Until then, workarounds like poison blood are probably your best bet.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:25:05 pm »

I believe poison is kind of broken for now, due to organs not really having any function yet. (Besides lungs and the brain)
EDIT: Arrg, ninja'd.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:51 pm »

Next time poisons get a pass of feature addition (i believe the popular term is "low-hanging fruit"), there's a good chance that ingested poisons and/or better contact poisons might go in.

Until then, workarounds like poison blood are probably your best bet.

Low hanging fruit, yes, but I'm not sure how many non-modders want them. Me, I'd love infectious diseases, even if there's no good way to fight them, and poisoned meat would be delightful (I'd sell it to elves). But... not sure how big a priority it is.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:48:18 pm »

Now, what would also work if there was a way to make it so the poison only worked if it came in contact with a specific organ, and I'm pretty sure there is a way to do that. I know that you can make the affected organ signaled out, but if it's a contact poison, it still takes effect on that specific organ even if the poison is on the foot or something.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:52:57 pm »

I want you to look at the dwarf tree.

See that golden apple right at the top? That's called fully functioning 3D graphics, forget that, we don't want it. It doesn't taste as good as it looks. Now you see all those MILLIONS of apples, all shiny and red, just low enough to pick? Well as Toady one the great runs around grabbing these apples as fast as he can, maybe one day he will get better syndromes.

Until then, you eat what your given.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »

See that golden apple right at the top? That's called fully functioning 3D graphics, forget that, we don't want it. It doesn't taste as good as it looks.

It tastes just as good as the other apples, so we may as well endeavor to get it once we run out of the MILLIONS of other apples.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:46:23 am »

Alright enough of your silly metaphors.

Anyways, it appears that making blood a contact poison doesn't work anyways in the slightest, since apparently eating a poison doesn't count as having contact with it. Even if I mark it as affecting guts and stomach, walking it will give you a stomach ache, but eating it results in no problems whatsoever.

I was hoping that adding LOCALIZED and BP:BY_CATAGORY:STOMACH or whatever would cause it to only affect certain tissues and only if contact is made with them, but instead, LOCALIZED seems to override any specific body designation. And eating poisons of any sort is apparently perfectly safe, no matter what. Eating things apparently just deletes it without trying to associate it with anything body-related, unfortunately.

Ditto for poisons which are INHALED and INJECTED. [ENTERS_BLOOD] doesn't change much of anything.

I was really hoping I could find a workaround.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:08 am »

I want you to look at the dwarf tree.

See that golden apple right at the top? That's called fully functioning 3D graphics, forget that, we don't want it. It doesn't taste as good as it looks. Now you see all those MILLIONS of apples, all shiny and red, just low enough to pick? Well as Toady one the great runs around grabbing these apples as fast as he can, maybe one day he will get better syndromes.

Until then, you eat what your given.

its not because he doesnt WANT to get the golden apple at the top, its because all his dwarves keep going on break instead of making him a ladder.

Oh wait, ladders arent in yet, we need to find that apple for ladders first..
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:06:02 am »

Oh I never said the golden apple of graphics wasn't tasty, it is very nice in fact! Just not as nice as it looks, so I'm happy with a barrel load of nice red apples.