Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making spider silk via reaction (40d)  (Read 686 times)

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making spider silk via reaction (40d)
« on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »

Yes still playing 40d till most bugs get patched up, in the meantime my mason/clothier just got possessed and demands some cloth... thread... and since I have tons of pig tail thread I'm guessing he's picky about spider silk thread.
Now the wiki is very... vague? about what you'd put for silk, as in hardly any info at all (Using 40d ver of course)

This is what I got right now but it turns out boiling silk :(

[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:Cave Spider Silk]

What am I doing wrong?  I'm guessing it's to do with the last name, what should I put where?
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Making spider silk via reaction (40d)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »

Yea, see when you say "Cave spider silk" It has NO idea what your talking about. This is because there is no item called "Cave spider silk", rather there is a material called silk, and one source of it is from cave spiders, so the program generates the name "Cave spider silk".

To make silk from a reaction, you would need to define silk somewhere, but as a lucky guess you could try replacing Cave spider silk with SILK.

EDIT: Wait, In my haste to reply, I forgot about the 40d, never mind...

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »

I was wondering about that but there's 3 types of SILK, I'll try it out.
EDIT: Same result, boiling silk.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 08:19:51 pm by clc02 »
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:27:04 pm »

Hold on, let me find a copy of 40d, it helps to have raws in front of you when your modding.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:33:22 pm »

Hmm.
So as it would appear, silk is hard coded, rather then a material, meaning this could be VERY tricky.
See right now your producing something with no propertys, so it just turns into a gas and flys away. What you need is the exact tag as cave spider silk, it will be something along the lines of CAVE_SPIDER_SILK, or SPIDER_SILK, or you get the idea.

Thats if it is possible at all...Due to silks hard coded nature it could not have a tag at all, then your fudged.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »

God bless seasonal saves then!  Guess I'll just start back 11 days.  Not that much lost.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:53:40 pm »

Last I remember it was impossible to create silk from a smelter in 40d.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:53 am »

I have been able to create silk cloth whenever my peasantry get too ambitious.

[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:SPIDER_CAVE]

Note: Artifacts will never use Thread, only Cloth. You are right in that they will not specify Plant or Silk, though.

When it calls for the Creature in the tag, it means the file entry name. Every animal could be renamed to 'plastic figurine', but all that would do is make the game awfully confusing. Changing every entry name to FIGURINE_PLASTIC, however, would cause some sort of catastrophe. Point is, the in-game displayed name is for the viewer's benefit only. Every instance of modding uses the actual entry names.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:31:59 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:16:53 am »

The ONLY time I ever remember seeing a certain thing in the reaction separate was in gems...

[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:Cave Spider Silk]

Where it says "Cave Spider Silk" that'd have to be a creature. If you notice you are asking in this sort of order...

100:How many do I want?:What type of object is it?:(this one throws me off some times, typically no_subtype):The mat of the object?:Where the mat comes from.

AHHH! Okay...

It'd be...

how complete do I want the object?:100 percent is the safest answer... I believe this acts like melting metal
how many?:say 1
type of object:we'll use box in this case...
subtype of object: since we used box, I believe the subtypes for box are bag and chest/coffer
a basic gist of what it is: like wood, metal, stone.
the subtype of that mat: would be like, granite, adamantine, cocoa tree, palm tree, obsidian, etc.

So what Shade-O has would technically be the correct answer. (I believe that's what I used for 40D seeing as thread had no use. IIRC)

But since the new version of 2010 came out... I just deal with base materials and try to avoid creature materials for the time being.

---

I'd like to say sorry, this post was kinda as I thought and researched stuff and remembered stuff that I've done.

If it makes no sense, I can understand why, but I hope you get what I mean.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!