Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How is Poland?  (Read 665 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How is Poland?
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:54:37 pm »

Sort of as a follow-up, how has Poland been faring lately? Did you guys have any serious problems following the tragedy, is everything relatively stable?

And how have the civilians been feeling about the whole thing?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: How is Poland?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:21:35 pm »

Everything is working just fine. While the crash was pretty disasterous in it's sheer number of killed officials, it wasn't anything that could undermine the country's stability. There were proper procedures and proper people ready to take over, just like in every other country.
Political scene is recovering pretty fast as well. Mr. Jarosław Kaczyński, our late president's twin brother, even decided to run for the presidency, so we might actually have the same face taking over again. Things like this - only in Poland.

The media and the public, however, got a really bad case of patriotic madness. Every single politician on the plane, no matter how much ridiculed when alive, became a saint and a paragon of every positive personal characteristic you can think of.
Late Mr.Kaczyński's presidency, in polls submitted weeks before crash, was judged negatively by half the populace, with about a quarter thinking it was good. Now the same question returns exactly an opposite answer, and everyone thinks it's ok.

ed: grammar
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:43:11 pm by Il Palazzo »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:49:29 am »

Most of the public hysteria has calmed down. The first two weeks after the tragedy were madness, you could hardly have a conversation or newsflash about anything else. Even now there is a 2cm thick layer of candle wax on the street in front of the presidential palace, its going to be a pain to clean it and it will likely leave marks.

The media and politics are now focusing more on the upcoming presidential campaign, in which the plane crash will undoubtedly be a major topic. The opposition party is going to be taken easy on, because they lost so many people in the crash.

What we have to do now is silence all the jackasses that are already sprouting up claiming that the crash was an assassination attempt made by the government/ Russians. Unfortunately conspiracy theories are inevitable when you have an accident in which high profile people are killed.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:33:12 am »

Late Mr.Kaczyński's presidency, in polls submitted weeks before crash, was judged negatively by half the populace,

This is what I'd always heard before he died, too. In fact, if I were you, I (as a responsible citizen) would try to find any and all points in which the President and the Prime Minister were at the same event at the same time. Maybe they're not twins after all, and maybe your President isn't really dead!

I mean, really, twin politicians, one of them an unpopular president? Please. I've dealt with twin politicians before. There are two MLAs in New Brunswick who are twins (which is actually more unlikely, when you think about it, since they had to go live in separate regions of the province to do so. Though, the regions are admittedly small), and I've never seen them side by side.

DUN DUN DUN
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 08:59:43 am »

Well, that's the last time I saw them together, so you might be on to something...