Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous World-Gen Parameters  (Read 2035 times)

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Ridiculous World-Gen Parameters
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:46 am »

Some of the things you can do by switching a lot of parameters and just letting it run 'til it works can make some pretty odd worlds. I generated one that was just a ton of volcanoes and deserts, with one forest. That's not the best part, though.

I set the minimum temperature to 998°U.

I embarked in the forest first. That wasn't smart. There's wasn't even one actual wildfire. The entire world was on fire. That ended rather quick. What I did next was embark on a desert right next to the ocean, with only two tiles of desert. I thought, "Well, if there's nothing to burn, maybe they'll survive the heat somehow... or something." So I embark. The dwarves were mostly unharmed survived the wagon/booze fire long enough to see the entire ocean boil away, leaving the sea monster to crisp in the sun.

I want to hear more stories. Has anyone tried emulating different planets' climates, tested the limits of dwarven survival, stuff like that?
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous World-Gen Parameters
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:53 am »

Post worldgen parameters for that boiling sea world. I must see that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:53:37 am »

Post worldgen parameters for that boiling sea world. I must see that.

I set the minimum temperature to 998°U.

I think that thar's the defining factor.  Of course, I'm not exactly a professional in these matters.  I could be wrong.

It's happened before.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:07:38 pm »

Kagus is right. I didn't mess too much with the actual world itself, I just set the minimum temp insanely high. For the ocean, I embarked on a 5x5 square with one tile of desert and the rest being ocean. I'm actually surprised the massive amounts of steam and water and such didn't crash my poor laptop.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »

I just checked out a world with such parameters. The ocean does disappear in an instant.

oddly enough, the jungle I embarked next to did not have it's murky pool evaporate. At all.

Edit: 1 dwarf survived... Hermit challenge!
double edit: or... not.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:08:01 pm by Vieto »

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:10:54 pm »

yea, I've noticed that sometimes in deserts, certain murky pools will not evaporate and will, as I have seen, become an infinite source (as far as drinking is concerned)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

I'll just try again and... Oh, that's what you meant by the world instantly catching !!!fire!!!

edit: fyi: adventure mode fared no better... I melted in <25 steps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:17:01 pm by Vieto »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

Oh lord why do I want to try this...

crap. TO THE WORLD GEN!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

Something I just found...

Make sure that the minimum/maximum elevation settings are set at 1-400 (widest range).  Now set elevation variance to 3200 (the max), and turn off the option to periodically erode extreme cliffs, and set the erosion counted to the minimum.

I just embarked on an area that looked a heck of a lot like the old 2D fort, with a solid, straight cliff that went up for a few levels before it started developing slopes.  It then went up in an exceptionally steep incline before peaking at 65 Z-levels above ground.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

Would love it if anyone found parameters that could be used to control the amount of waterfalls genned.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 07:18:50 pm »

Make lots of elevations varying between 100 and 300. Put in plenty of mountains, then bump the number of rivers up to the max. Dont turn on erosion, and make the world large enough for the rivers to run around plenty without running into oceans or map edges.

If done properly, you should have a river/lake world. With tons and tons of waterfalls.

Edit: Ended up making one.
Spoiler: Params (click to show/hide)
Its got 3 sites where 2 majour rivers converge into one, but none is a waterfall. Bummer. Turns out I forgot to tuirn off the erosion.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:37:33 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »

What the above said. Plus, set the initial rivers, pre-erosion, to 100, and the post-erosion rivers to the max.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:57 pm »

Worked nicely. Set up my fortress next to a major river (those that are 16 tiles across), with a 4 tiles river dropping into the main river next to my fortress. The waterfall was fourteen z-levels high!