Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie with Impossible Mega Construction Dreams?  (Read 587 times)

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Newbie with Impossible Mega Construction Dreams?
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:36 pm »

I'm still a newbie at DF, but I have a few ideas for stuff I'd like to build.

---

You're leading your caravan through the desert toward a fortress known as Sandcage the Time-Keeper. Over the horizon, you see a gleaming tower of some sort. As you get closer, you recognize it for what it is: An enormous, clear hourglass. As you ride towards the trade depot, you pass a number of smaller hourglass-shaped towers and see the appraising eyes of elite marksdwarfs, ready to unleash a rain of bolts at the slightest sign of goblin treachery. Passing in winding paths over the tops of these towers is a raised aquifer, freely moving river water through a display of dwarven mastery over the elements, forcing the water into right angle turns.

---

Okay, so I felt like getting a little artistic. The "hourglass" shape I'm going for is something along the lines of a pair of pyramids or cones joined at the tips. Since the DF wiki tells me that walls can't be built on top of constructed floors (unless said floors are the result of a wall on the level below), I don't think I can make a hollow pyramid shape, and if I go for a solid pyramid, I still don't think I could build an inverted one on top. Does anyone know a way I could work around this problem?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with Impossible Mega Construction Dreams?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »

Why sure you can make it hollow!
You see, in dwarf physics, a wall just needs to be connected to the ground, but does not need a support directly under it, so you can easily build up in a diagonal direction without fear of collapse.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:42:41 pm »

Walls can't be built on floors on the same z level. Walls can be built over open space if connected to a floor (of any type) on an adjascent tile by the edge.

So if these smilie faces represent two walls on different z levels, and a dash representing open space (facing from the side), you can construct like this:
  - :D
 :D -

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:50:23 pm »

Thanks, FC. I had a feeling there may have been some exploit like that I could use.

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly: I could, say, build a 5x5 hollow square on the ground, and from the top of that, build a 3x3 square. The reverse would also be true, so, if I built stairs up through the center, I could start building outer rings.

I'd probably have to construct temporary floors to get the corners of the walls in, right?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:45 pm »

Yes and yes!
May your hour glass dreams come true.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:46 pm »

Yay! Now that I know my dreams are possible, I guess I'd better get back to figuring out the basics.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:03 pm »

It may help if you turn invaders off in the init file. Actually, scratch that. It will help. A lot.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:12:56 pm »

Since I got a prompt collection of replies, guess I might as well move onto other aspects of the idea:

What's going to be the "sand" in the big hourglass tower?

Any suggestions on how to pick out a good location? As much as I'd like this to be in an open sandy desert, the lack of wood would probably ruin my chances of making clear glass, along with all the other hassles involved for inexperience players.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:25:37 pm »

well, for your sand, you have a choice of magma or water. Water is safer but magma is cooler.

As for location, any flat forest with sand would be great.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:50 pm »

I thought about having one of the two in the hourglass, but I'd be content with having a static pile of something arranged as if it were in the middle of flowing. Piles of coins, maybe?

I'm also thinking a sandy forest would be appropriate, though on one of my false starts, I managed to get a river running through a desert with a decent chunk of a forest that was somehow adjacent.