Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring is serious business!  (Read 501 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring is serious business!
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »

So one of my legendary axedwarves decided to spar in the barracks... with a civilian!  The poor guy was barely more than a peasant and was NOT a drafted member of the military.  All of a sudden during one of the axedwarf's sparring drills, he engaged the civilian in combat and cut him in half with the first strike :'(!  Is this a bug or as intended? I've read that in previous versions, you needed a lot of space for sparring to be safe, but my barracks has a central area much bigger than the recommended 3x3 area of open space.  On that note, I'm considering switching all my dwarves over to wooden training weapons, but I'm nervous that as soon as I do, the mighty RNG will finally deem that the time for my first goblin siege.  I've seen how long it can take for dwarves to exchange items with the arsenal dwarf :(.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring is serious business!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:04 pm »

The military is literally fucked right now. I can't find a better word for it.
You should be happy that you got him to spar at all. And remember, dorfs are expendable.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring is serious business!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

It's strange.  In MMOs, I live for PVP and general mayhem.  However, something about DF has turned me into a bit of a carebear.  Every dorf life is precious!  Or something.  As for sparring, my squaddies won't settle for anything else.  I'm actually having trouble figuring out how to get them to spar a bit less.  I've tried setting their scheduled minimums to three dwarves training, and yet they continue unabated.  Also, one of the dwarves from another squad I disbanded is STILL sparring all the time.  The rest of his fellows integrated back into civilian life just fine, but he can't give the barracks up!