Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Head Architect & Architecture View  (Read 722 times)

General Pattern

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Head Architect & Architecture View
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:17:58 pm »

Listening to talk #8, I acquired an idea to handle an improved statics engine.

A head architect job! Give an appointed dwarf an office, and they'll move around the fortress, inspecting structures, maybe warning about possible failures.

Together with this might be a structure view - changing the view temporarily so everything with a force is colored according to how much more weight it can hold. I.E. something about to collapse is scarlet red, something with plenty to go is light green, etc... The accuracy might depend on the skill of the architect.

Thoughts?

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Head Architect & Architecture View
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

Well, if Toady will at last go around implementing realistic cave-ins and load bearing of constructions and what-not, something that will warn you in advance is needed.

Unexpected collapse out of blue is not fun.

Balance is needed - creating typical fortress in style "three levels, 11x11 empty areas with stockpiles, workshops etc" normally should not cause problems. On other hand, building megaprojects make this "head architect" a must.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »

OOOooooOOOOooo!  Great idea, ESPECIALLY the structure view!  I think if cave-ins are realistic, unexpected collapse out of the blue will not be an issue if you build smartly, and in that case the need for balance would be a moot point.  I like that word... moot.

With the structure view, the color coding would be cool and easy to follow, sort of addressing the "communication" issue the Toady One brought up in the talk.  Simple vertical shear sort of modeling would be easy to factor in, I think, but what would be harder to factor in I think would be things like arches and domes, since they would be blocky.     
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:22:20 am by Andeerz »

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:13:31 pm »

Come visit us at http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54761.0. We have some similar suggestions on the display format.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.