Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You CAN get melancholy dwarves to join your adv - but don't let them near water!  (Read 1772 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I lost a fort in 0.31 to Elk Birds.  I sent my starting 7, unarmed, to attack an Elk Bird. "It's just a bird, how hard can it be?"  Only one dwarf survived, later to go mad with melancholy.  When I came back with an adventurer, I ran into that surviving dwarf.  He was flashing the cyan "!", but surprisingly not only could I tal(k) to him, he agreed to join me!  As I headed for the cavern, I suddenly noticed he wasn't following me anymore.  I backtracked and found his bloody corpse and his gear drowned in a murky pool.  Damn fool threw himself into a pool while I wasn't looking!  (There were no carp in the area, btw.)

Now here's a question:  if I'd known not to let him near a pool, and fast traveled away with him instead, I wonder if there's a way to cure him of his melancholy?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hahaha this is an awesome story, at least
Quickfort utility, Chromafort

runrobotrun 8x8 tileset (early WIP)

soundtrack to your regicide, the Dwarven Mixtape

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

That's a very good question, about a very interesting problem.

quick, go drive some more of them insane and abandon, let's see how they act in adventure mode.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh God, I'm just picturing a group of dwarves, half of whom are melancholy, but the other half of which are tantruming/murderous.  I wonder, if you abandoned with a dwarf in a Fell mood, if he'd finish carrying out the deed while you were there with an adventurer...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Oh God, I'm just picturing a group of dwarves, half of whom are melancholy, but the other half of which are tantruming/murderous.  I wonder, if you abandoned with a dwarf in a Fell mood, if he'd finish carrying out the deed while you were there with an adventurer...

If not, then it definitely needs to be implemented.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder what would happen if you did it with stark raving mad dwarves-can you still talk to them even tho they are just running around babbling?

Or what if you do it with a beserk dwarf? Can he join you and talk or just attack you on sight?

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile

Hey kids, it's time for dwarf science!
Beat you to it
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or what if you do it with a beserk dwarf? Can he join you and talk or just attack you on sight?

Both, I'm hoping.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Berserk dwarves are sort of no longer members on your fort. If you abandon, the berserk dwarf will be hidden somewhere in the map, and will ambush-attack if you come close.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Berserk dwarves are sort of no longer members on your fort. If you abandon, the berserk dwarf will be hidden somewhere in the map, and will ambush-attack if you come close.
i had a lot of fun with a old Adventure in a town,i made him berserk and called for back up,
of the 100 axe dwarfs that tried to kill him not one lived more than a day.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG