Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assign tasks to not-yet-completed buildings  (Read 1021 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assign tasks to not-yet-completed buildings
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

It'd be nice if I could say "Make a lever, and then when you're done hook it up to this bridge over here." Or "Make a mason's workshop, and when it's done start making doors, chests, and cabinets". Pretty minor as these things go, but it'd be nice.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assign tasks to not-yet-completed buildings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

If you use the manager you can set up workshop jobs before the workshop exists.  I think they will then queue up in the workshop when it is finished.  Of course you can't do that when your manager doesn't have an office.
Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

I tend to not use the manager much anyway, since different workshops of the same type are used for different tasks for me (for example, it does me no good to queue up 15 bone bolts tasks when I only have one bonecarver and want my other two craftshops on stone crafts in the meantime). And that doesn't handle levers.

...heh. Queue up 15 "Attach lever to floodgate" tasks, and the manager says "Okay!" and assigns them evenly to all the levers in your fortress and randomly-chosen eligible floodgates...

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>...heh. Queue up 15 "Attach lever to floodgate" tasks, and the manager says "Okay!" and assigns them evenly to all the levers in your fortress and randomly-chosen eligible floodgates...</STRONG>

Reminds me of this.

"I've pushed every button in this elevator to find out where they go.  Except this one."

At least that's what he said in the old movie.  Forget what it was in the one pictured.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

Reminds me of this.

"I've pushed every button in this elevator to find out where they go.  Except this one."

At least that's what he said in the old movie.  Forget what it was in the one pictured.</STRONG>

I think he was saying, "just because I look like MJ, doesn't mean I'm a pedophile. Now who wants to go skinny dipping in chocolate?"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>I think he was saying, "just because I look like MJ, doesn't mean I'm a pedophile. Now who wants to go skinny dipping in chocolate?"</STRONG>

Lol, entirely possible.
Though unlikely.