Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 artifacts...  (Read 1213 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
2010 artifacts...
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that artifacts in DF 2010 often use way less materials than in 40d? I mean, I had a blacksmith go fey a while ago, grab one set of platinum bars and start working. (Not that I minded - free 96000* and an anvil.) I have never seen a 2010 artifact use more than three items.
くコ:彡

Megabass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 artifacts...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:43:06 am »

Dunno, it's always seemed like that for me. Grab a piece of whatever base material they'll be working with, maybe one or two more for decorations (usually the same material :/), and work on it. If there was a change there, I haven't noticed.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:26:06 am »

Almost all of the early artifacts in 40d were like that for me with the later ones becoming more complex. Sometimes they'd drop back down to one item, but that was usually because it was a different kind of mood or a different workshop.

For instance, a fey woodcrafter would use a single towercap log for that amulet while another fey woodcrafter would use a log, a piece of silk, and a gem while a possessed or secretive woodcrafter would use just one log or a fey metalsmith would use a single billon bar to make a door with.

Jewelers usually were the sole exception to that, but that's largely because their artifacts seems heavily weighted towards Perfect Large Gems. I've had dozens upon dozens of forts and a hundred or so artifacts and the only other artifact that I've got out of a Jewelry based mood was a Bloodstone Armor Stand.

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:49:25 am »

It's been up and down for me.

I've had things like... 1 iron bar, 1 piece of wood, but also just yesterday I had..
2 or 3 metal bars (not sure which ones), 2 pieces of wood, leather, a gem and bones, and some other thing I can't remember.
Turned out to be a pretty complex figurine :-)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:37 am »

I've noticed that moods, much like goblin sieges, grow in complexity as more are survived.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »

Yeah, I've always seen this happening; they start off slow, then slowly get more complex.  It might be partly based on how many moods of that kind you've had, but it's not direct.  My first crafter mood in my current fort used about 9 items.

Both of my jeweler moods got stolen by kobolds because I forgot to make a special artifact storage room.  *sigh*  I loved that chain made of star rubies, star sapphires, and black diamonds...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:14 pm »

My first two artifacts were fairly simple in material. But the third artifact got into MANLY and HEAVY material. Mule bone, turtle shell and raw agate.