Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't build because of discarded socks and tools  (Read 734 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Can't build because of discarded socks and tools
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:47:09 pm »

I think DF may be the closest thing there is to a perfect game, but I am constantly running into a problem that brings the progress of my fortress to a crawl.

What just happened is a perfect example:  I've been tasking my idlers to mining for the last few IG months, and have started putting in the first screw pumps.  One pump had only one access point.  No one was building it for a while so I had my architect stop mining.  He goes to the pump, starts building it, then puts his pick down at the construction site and suspends the build because there's now an item blocking the site. 

I have a lot of extra picks and no way to get rid of that particular one, even though I've had five dwarves walk right past it.  I'd drown the useless slobs in magma, but that would require the screw pump to be finished first.

And then there's the wall I can't finish at the surface because of the pair of socks dropped by the very first goblin to die at my fort, which should probably have decomposed into soil by now.

Please, for the love of God or Armok or whatever, can there be some way to deal with this problem?  Soon? 

I've noticed that dwarves will happily move stone out of the way of workshops they're building unless someone is coming to get it already.  If they can move unused stone, why not unused clothing or tools?  Or could there be an additional command in the Look Around interface that works like "Claim" but gives the job a very high priority?  Perhaps call it "Move" or something?  If you want to make a fun solution (in the DF sense of the word), would it be possible to simply have the item be destroyed if it's built over?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
Re: Can't build because of discarded socks and tools
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:54:37 pm »

Can you not designate the items to be dumped?  Not the most ideal solution, but it should get them moved in a timely manner.
...Eh?

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:04:10 pm »

I haven't noticed it helping with the socks.  I've heard there's issues with objects on the surface, but the socks are in a building with a 2nd floor over them, which is part of the reason I can't just build the wall around them.

I have a filtered magma pit for dumping, I'll give the pick a try.

I suppose I could always have the thing melted down...
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:05:49 pm »

Are the items forbidden?  Do they have an owner listed in their view screen?

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

No, they're not forbidden.  I've tried claiming, dumping, cancelling the dump and just claiming again, nothing seems to work for the socks. 

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

Hmm... you might be experiencing this bug, then.  Do the items have "TSK" next to their names when you 'k' over them?

Also, are they owned?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 03:02:47 pm »

I haven't noticed it helping with the socks.  I've heard there's issues with objects on the surface, but the socks are in a building with a 2nd floor over them, which is part of the reason I can't just build the wall around them.

I have a filtered magma pit for dumping, I'll give the pick a try.

I suppose I could always have the thing melted down...

Do you have "Dwarves Gather Refuse from Outside" enabled?

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »

Designate the sock to be dumped (use (k) to look around, (d) to mark for dumping), and make sure you have an (a)ctive dumping area (created under i, don't forget to set the area to dump). You may need to go into the (o)ptions (r)efuse menu and change the dwarves to not ignore the outside. If you do all of that, they'll get the sock. And the pick, for that matter. Then you can undesignate the items forbidden once they are in the dump, so someone can claim them again.

I find it useful to trade away all that clutter/trash that dwarves discard in common areas. But you can only do that if they aren't owned.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »

clothes and such will degrade over time when worn.
once reaching   x somesortof x   they will be broken and the owner drops them. if he has one container in one of his assigned romes, he will put them in there (i think), else he drops the item where he is just standing.

there is no way you can assign jobs to owned items.
there is no way you can steal owned items from your dorfs.
you can flush your fort with wather, this will take along all the litter. but you proably wont want to flush your fort.

this behaviour is realy old, it has been always like this since dwarfs actualy are able to own things.