Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make Hauling and/or Running actual trainable skills. (Edited by request)  (Read 2510 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make Hauling or Hauling an actual trainable skill.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »

Then again, the only real skill in wearing armor is putting it on, but armor user skill at least used to affect how fast you move wearing armor.

I would expect armor using to also encompass how effectively you know how to turn a direct hit into a glancing blow (i.e. knowing the properties/effectiveness of armor). 

cdawg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

it definitely would make sense if hauling anvils and rocks around all day made your strength characteristic go up

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

Lol do you only move places with big corridors and doorways? With no stairs? High ceilings? Because it's not all about brute strength if you want to keep the owners house and property intact! Lol
you can only really use a dolly to go from the lorry to somewhere on the ground floor,(if the doors are wide enough and you don't have steps outside) everything else is more difficult than that!

Part of the specialty equipment I mentioned is padding for the walls.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 08:44:21 pm »

Sorry, that title was written after 30 some odd hours straight of Dwarf Fortress playing goodness. That was supposed to be "Hauling and Running" My apologies. :o

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stat gains need to be decoupled from skills. Strength should only develop to the point it's used; a dwarf that only hauls seeds around shouldn't get any stats whatsoever. Staying in shape should take hard work, not a romp of carpentry that builds your muscles for 20 years. Genes are of course a factor.

Once all that's done, we can pass up on hauling skill and track the distance and weight carried instead. Pump Operating and Armor Using would also be rendered useless. The latter might be repurposed for something more useful. Carts and wheelbarrows would actually have a use if not all dwarves were amazingly strong from all that soapmaking.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »

Part of the specialty equipment I mentioned is padding for the walls.
I'd much rather have someone who has practiced not hitting the walls than one who thinks pads are the way to go. I've dealt with enough damage from "brute force" + pads movers like you to not make that mistake again.

This, although I'd say minutiae skills, not useless. The mechanics are already there for the game to measure skill less tasks and still apply xp. For example, people get paid in the dwarven economy for completing all sorts of jobs that don't raise skills.
This is somewhat my thought though. For the most part things like pump operating, hauling, etc seem like they could be abstracted away into strength stats. While there is a difference between skilled haulers and amateurs, in many cases even professional movers just hire on out of school students or day laborers who get the job done with brute force. The main cost to this isn't how much they haul, but the damage they do to property. If we aren't going to model damage due to unskilled haulers, there probably isn't much reason to model the skill.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

To bring a little more (unwelcome?) realism into this thread, ancient civilizations in the tropical areas, such as Vietnam or Mesoamerica, depended on professional porters for transport because no other form of transportation was available or as efficient, and certainly the average joe can't trek across miles of harsh landscape carrying a heavy burden.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]