Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no seeds or booze on embark  (Read 1396 times)

Fisbik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
no seeds or booze on embark
« on: April 18, 2010, 07:14:51 pm »

Hey everybody!  Been playing since version 0.28 or the later 0.27s (don't remember) but now I'm having an issue to which I can't find an answer:

In 31.03, more often than not upon embark, there are no seeds or booze available.  If I have a saved embark profile then I get the message that none of these items are available; otherwise they simply aren't there to add.  I've been trying to embark in a small region, 5x5 area, along a stream or lake with some soil layers, in temperate or cold climates.  So it's nothing extreme that would seemingly disqualify those items.  In 40d and before, these items were always available regardless of where I embarked.
     The only file alterations I've made other than basic changes in the init. file are: turning off weather and economy and removing the [aquifer] tag from sand.  The world gen. changes I've made to the region are: reducing the years to 100; reducing the z-levels above ground to 5; removing the Bottom Layer and removing the Cavern Layers.  Again, I don't seem to have made any major change that would delete all the seeds and booze.

If there is something I can edit to fix this, please let me know.  I've tried re-installing to no avail.
 ???

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no seeds or booze on embark
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »

Right, so since you removed Cavern Layers, the dwarven civ you're affiliated with can't actually ever get underground plants, since they only naturally occur in caverns.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Fisbik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »

Thank you!  I just made a new world and it seems to be OK.  However, is there a way around this?  I'm really not interested in the whole cavern and magma sea thing so much as I am the military and medical changes.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »

don't dig down?
try and find a mountainous area in which you can dig a good deal of z-levels without disturbing the caverns or magma layers (which are often quite a ways down)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 07:57:23 pm »

Thank you!  I just made a new world and it seems to be OK.  However, is there a way around this?  I'm really not interested in the whole cavern and magma sea thing so much as I am the military and medical changes.

Alright, I have an idea, but I'm not particularly sure it will work.

Likewise, it may result in strange in game behaviour.

Step 1.

Open the file "Plant_Standard" in your RAWs folder.
Modify all plants you want on embark from "Biome:Subterranean_water" to "Biome:Any_wetland"
Remove the underground_depth tag.

Essentially, this turns underground plants into above ground plants. May result in strangeness - humans and elves bringing you plump helmets, for example. Also being able to gather them outdoors.

Step 2.

Open "Entity_Default"
Turn your dwarves into humans, essentially.
Add the tag "Outdoor_Farming" to dwarves.
Change the "start_biome" tag value from "mountain" to "Any_grassland", to ensure that they will actually be able to farm.

You'll probably see dwarvan caravans arriving with stuff like "Sunshine" and "Sun berries" because of this.

So, no promises on whether this will actually work, and no promises on whether or not this will result in gameplay weirdness.

don't dig down?
try and find a mountainous area in which you can dig a good deal of z-levels without disturbing the caverns or magma layers (which are often quite a ways down)
It's not that easy - the underground layers can still sap a not insignificant portion of your CPU/memory due to the current pathing weirdness with undiscovered layers, fluids, and critters. Not to mention the shear number of layers available to view.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:59:56 pm »

..or just generate a world with ~30-100 layers 'above cavern level 1' :)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.