Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: special worldgen question : nearly no water world...  (Read 854 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
special worldgen question : nearly no water world...
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:40:12 am »

As I was reading it :
I am now reading a book "Metro 2033" by Dmitry Glukhovskoy, it's a post-apocalyptic story but it is opposed to Fallout in many ways. In fallout you have a huge wasteland. In Metro2033 people live in Moscow metro system, shut from the surface with anti-radiation doors. So while the space is huge (the Moscow is a big city and its metro is really huge), the people always have to deal with a closed space and lack of air/water.

By the way, they eat pigs and underground mushrooms and brew these mushrooms into a drink. Like dwarves :).

P.S. The site is in russian but you can run it through a google translator. It has some cool fan-composed music:
http://translate.google.ru/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metro2033.ru%2Fcreative%2Faudio%2F25908%2F&sl=ru&tl=en
I wondered if it were posible to create a world (by special gen stats) with no rivers (and no ocean ?),
And only very low water level in caves and suface ...

Does anyone know how to create such a world ?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: special worldgen question : nearly no water world...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:46:46 am »

I'm not sure where to find it again, but look for the elevation. If you found that, raise the minimum. Eventually this'll guarantee there are lakes nor oceans. You can also change 'cavern water' or something like that to a maximum of zero: No water down there.

Not sure about rivers, though.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:39 am »

Check my Wasteland mod. It has "Wasteland" worldgen which makes a huge desert region with rare savanna/grassland patches and one ocean. You can remove those.

Basically up drainage, lower rainfall, raise temperature. Other settings have smaller impact.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:14 pm »

No/few oceans tiles: That's mostly a matter of setting the minimum height level properly. Remember, 100 is sea level, 400 are peaks. From the world_gen.txt, the following values will have to be changed to produce a world with only small saltwatter bodies (about 15% of the surface) for a 257x257 world:

Code: [Select]
[ELEVATION:80:400:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:10:10:10:10:10]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:8256:7:6]

Adjust the REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN numbers down as needed, especially for smaller words.

These values produce a world basically without any oceans, the stray 1-dot one here and there excluded. On the other hand, they make flat "bassins" at lower levels.

[ELEVATION:100:400:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:100:33:10:5:3:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]

No/few rivers: This is a combination of high drainage and low precipitation (rain, snow ...). A high temperature isn't required. These settings might work more or less like you'd like them to at a 257x257 map:

[RAINFALL:0:50:200:200]
[DRAINAGE:50:100:400:400]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:10:5:3:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:3:5:10]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:1023:0:0]
[RIVER_MINS:0:0]