Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artificial Cistern-Based Waterfall  (Read 2819 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial Cistern-Based Waterfall
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 01:33:06 pm »

I got my thoughts a bit mixed up so that was actually why I made the middle tiles look like walls. A 3 wide row is fine supported by the walls on both sides but the single tile in the middle would need a support.

As for symmetry I like this two rows thing more because no matter what row of the hall a dwarf walks through he goes over the same number of grates and presumably gets an even shower. If you do 3x3 grates with a floor in the middle some dwarves will only have two thirds the rate of getting rinsed as those that hug the walls.

If you put it at the intersection of two hallways 3x3 - center tile would again be the most symmetric shower system.

There's one more thing for me to mention though. Keeping shrubs from growing in your system can be a pain. For always running pumps they might take water off the tile fast enough that a tree could suddenly clog it up. Desconstructing one is a major issue because they are all sitting on each other.
In order to prevent this you can construct floors on the tiles that will become muddy. Shrubs down grow out of muddy constructions.

This is most applicable to the tiles behind the pumps, the path over to the waterfall, and the three tiles that spread the water. The basin would stay flooded enough that you wouldn't need to flood the floor, but I guess you could anyway.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 01:34:40 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 04:08:54 pm »

I see nothing on the wiki to imply that water flowing through a channel cannot power a water wheel; only that falling water and flowing magma do not power it.

Hold up. I can have a self-powered magma-fall?

Looks like I'm going to be needing a lot of nickel bars in the immediate future.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »

No mention about utilizing diagonals to kill pump pressure? Seriously, that is probably *THE* most important thing you need to add to the top of your waterfall to prevent flooding. If you add five "pipe" tiles after the forced diagonal you'll get a waterfall that fluctuates between a depth of 0/7 and 2/7. The closer you build the waterfall to the diagonal, the larger the waterfall will be.

Minor correction on the first drawing, the floor in the pump stack should be underneath the impassable section, not the passable.

I'll also throw out the recommendation to add an empty level above the cistern prevent any flooding/splashing.

And remember, pumps can provide enough water to provide nearly twenty-five single tile waterfalls. Do *NOT* assume that water works in DF as it would in reality.
Pages: 1 [2]