Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Making it harder  (Read 2710 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making it harder
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 08:34:20 am »

The things people do to "increase difficulty" confound me. Most of the time it strikes me as increasing tedium, but the core of the game isn't really any harder.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 08:39:33 am »

Undead dwarfs with there equipment still on would be even cooler.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 08:49:32 am »

Undead dwarfs with there equipment still on would be even cooler.

Heck, imagine an army of undead goblins slowly growing around your fort as ambush and siege squads add to their number, your military doing their best to prevent immigrants and caravans from joining them.

plenum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 03:50:01 pm »

Embark
(1) Nothing but 2 wood logs and 2 dogs 
(2) A lot of terrifying biome
(3) Biome with no plants to be gathered on the surface
(4) All 7 dwarfs are proficient "Gem cutting" and proficient "Gem setting"
(5) Brook, but no fish in it (31.03 >= ver >= 31.01)
(6) Mod farming: all plants GROWDUR + 1000, all seasons enabled
(7) No using of stone/cage traps
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:21:51 am by plenum »
Protect diversities: biological, ecological, cultural.
This yields colorful future to our (grand)children.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 12:37:41 am »

Wakmaster, this is not a game that is trying to challenge you.  That's your job.  You can challenge yourself as much as you want.

It lets you choose an embark location knowing how nasty the wildlife is likely to be.

It lets you select starting equipment and gear.

It lets you choose how many traps to build, or whether you build them at all.

It lets you choose the size of your military.

It lets you choose how fast and deep you dig.

Make the game harder by making choices which are harder to survive.

Meh... some of those are good, but others... to me, a challenge means having to do *everything* you can to survive, not just "Do less, so your straight-up odds go lower"... I'd like to see enemies so powerful they *deserved* the fortresses I built to resist them.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 12:50:24 am »

You can do quite a bit with modding :)

Modding goblins to replace the babysnatcher with sieger tag and then either giving the goblins nothought so that they can't make peace or genning a world where they are at war with your dwarves at the time will make things harder, since then they will pop up with sieges much earlier and really pound you (no more ambushes, just siege siege siege). I assume this still works, it worked in 40d but I haven't bothered testing it in the newest version. If you add the nothought tag you can also mod them to become adults at age 1 or 2 or something so that they breed and spread way faster to prevent them from being wiped in world gen due to wars.

You could simply add in whole new races that were warlike and more formidable as well, like a race of giants or something.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:34 pm »

Syndromes are my golden boy lately. Want to make the game harder? Give more creatures nasty poison attacks.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.
Pages: 1 2 [3]