Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a mod that intergrates the mouse?  (Read 619 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a mod that intergrates the mouse?
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:12:46 pm »

Has anyone tried this? It it even possible?

So far as I can tell the mouse is only usable to change the volume. Does this mean that it is indeed possible to make other interface items 'clickable' through modding?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Making a mod that intergrates the mouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:17:43 pm »

It's completely impossible. The best you can mod is the raws. Which don't include the mouse. Though the mouse is already partially integrated (Designations).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »

The only way I can see of adding full mouse support would be some sort of advanced AHK script, or something similar. Quite a hassle just to be able to click everything.
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

ghostxxx

• Bay Watcher
  • and my Axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 05:49:15 am »

I was just thinking this actually!

Is it not possible to tie the df mouse to your actual mouse and then read the coordinates of your click and relate it to df related function? Just splice DF screen into zones.

Example:

Player clicks Zone 1

If Zone 1 then DF reads it as player clicked key D

I was also thinking with Designations, how awesome would it be if you can just box select? You know, like Windows does. You click, hold, drag, release. Building and designating things would be so much easier.

To do something like that, it would have to look like this

Program reads zone 1 (digging) , down click up click on screen, calculates the width and length of the square. Get the first position of the first tile in top left corner. Then it would just use a loop to position the X mark on the screen at the correct tiles and designate to dig.

I would love to make something like this, but my programming knowledge isn't strong enough. I think dfhack can be used since it already provides the mouse X Y. It's just a matter of being able to send df commands. Which if I'm not mistaken, has already been done with a program that builds rooms for you.

Thoughts?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:02:44 am »

Sounds nice. I would never use it, though I'm sure quite a few others would, but:

Although my programming experience is effectively nothing, I can say it would require a metric F-ton of work, and who's to say it's possible at all? Besides, is it really worth the effort to add in the mouse function fully to save you a few minutes while programming the program would likely take days, weeks, or maybe even months of work?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:06:45 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ghostxxx

• Bay Watcher
  • and my Axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 06:29:47 am »

It might be hard but that is something that has not been made yet and there is an audience for it. It can start small and features be added as they are requested.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31:14 pm »

This would be a very interesting, not to mention useful utility. I'll have to check out AHK to see what could be possible, and if it would be practical to make.
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:40:03 pm »

Personally I would find a utility to use the mouse for construction designations very useful, especialy when combined with the ability to designate construction in open air. Would save so much tedious material selection and such with circular shapes, murals, etc.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!