Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spelunking Elves  (Read 1522 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spelunking Elves
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »

The thin line between modding and cheating is weather it makes the game easier or not.

As for the fun, if shaving the elf is all you can think of, you need to mod your own raws to be a little more creative! But then again, that would be cheating...

Oh Max, must you be this way? There was originally an objective of removing all Elven facial hair, and by suggesting that we edit our raw files, that was making the completion of that objective easier, and I considered it unsporting.

But needless to say, the fate that would await the naked and bald Elves after their initiation is more than enough for me.

But enough of such matters. I am curious as to whether or not caverns are connected to the surface in some way, or whether it is simply the game treating the furthest edges of the caverns as edges of the map? If so, then surely BigD's point about the elves entering via the caverns is possible?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:56:30 pm by Owlbread »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 11:04:01 pm »

Well I can tell you for certain that caverns are connected to the surface.

While playing as a fire imp in adventure mode, I had fun diving down a volcano, swimming under the ground then coming up a magma pipe that opened into the caverns.

Something the elves might use? No idea...

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »

Apparently, if one wants to gain access via the rituals of playing Kobold Camp, turning the incidence of caves up high in world gen means that there's a greater likelihood of a surface cave being around that will connect to the cavern's layer.  At least of cavern layer 1.

So, since caverns are now available on all maps... that makes the caves sort of like... natural on and off ramps to the deadliest omni-highway ever.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 11:12:12 pm »

Surface caves can connect to the caverns?

Well this IS a breakthrough! I will have to remember that...

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 11:17:34 pm »

Well I guess the edge of the map is the edge of the map regardless of level.

Part of the justification those of us use who want to embark on the cavern level.

Certainly less hippie-wuss of the elves than usual, I must admit.  See if any of them return and with more nifty stuff, then we'll see if you've found a *shudder* worthwhile band of hippies.
Those don't exist.

We have always been at peace with Elfasia.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 11:33:28 pm »

Surface caves can connect to the caverns?

Well this IS a breakthrough! I will have to remember that...

Might just be a rumor or joke they were playing on the newbies in the kobold camp thread, but, something to check out at least.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 11:43:14 pm by Coidzure Dreams »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:09 pm »

This thread says caves can connect to caverns

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:45:50 pm »

I thought adventure mode qualified as being 'special' in that it will connect caves and such for you when you visit the site, but if you go there before hand in fortress mode it is sealed off.

At least that's how 40D worked.
Pages: 1 [2]