Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf thinking  (Read 808 times)

bigfatfae

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Let me tell you a story...
    • View Profile
Dwarf thinking
« on: April 18, 2010, 03:51:03 pm »

Personalities are now in place. Dwarves have had the ability to have 'thoughts' by seeing certain things.

I heard mentioned a heirarchy of needs for dwarves in the dwarf talk, but it sounded like joking. This is too bad, because I think it's actually an idea with a lot of potential.

I don't know how feasible this is, processing wise... but I'd think that you make a sliding scale for actions. Based on personality traits and situation. "Job needs to be done" is given fairly high priority, followed by "need for rest" "need for sleep" "need to eat", all those things. As the dwarf gets hungrier, it adds more weight to the 'need to eat' portion of it's motivations, and as a job gets closer to done, it adds more weight to the 'job needs to be done' portion. If the hunger number ever gets higher, then the dwarf stops. Personality further weights them, so a lazy dwarf would often leave tasks unfinished for a quick rest break of some sort, and a workaholic dwarf might let himself get to 'starving' before he stopped.

By weighting it, not only do dwarves feel more individual, but it means that dwarves who barely start a task but are really hungry would generally go to eat before they got unhappy. And I'd imagine it wuoldn't be hard to add in new motivations, make dwarves socialize on their own, or make them actually weigh opponents to see whether or not they should run. (coward vs anything? Run! Brave vs seemingly small opponent? Wrestle!) Which could add a lot of FUN.