Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves not using weapons/armor  (Read 2399 times)

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves not using weapons/armor
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:38:17 am »

I am not entirely sure how to get my dwarves to use weapons or armor.  i managed to create a few bronze axes, but when i try to equip them to my dwarves (military > squad > dwarf name > weapon > specific weapon), there is nothing there.  is there some other way i am supposed to equip these guys?

EDIT:  Its weird because i can equip my dwarves with this crappy iron crossbow, but it doesnt show the axes under the weapons.  to be clear, I made the axes at the metalsmiths forge, there isnt anything i need to do after that to prepare the axe is there?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:57:25 am by crucifier »

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves not using weapons/armor
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:16:53 am »

also, my stuff is in bins, if that matters

EDIT:  lol apparently my dwarves were too busy training to pick up armor that was 5 feet away.  think i figured out the problem

EDIT2:  ugh, it seems completely random whether or not a dwarf that i designate equips the equipment i ask him to.  this definitely needs some polishing, that or i am missing something
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:34:10 am by crucifier »

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:44:20 pm »

bump, would like some insight on this too.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:43 pm »

have you assigned an arsenal dwarf? because he handles all armor and weapon management. meaning dwarves won't pick things up until s/he has an office to do its arsenal duties.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »

Arsenal dwarf was removed in the latest version. Just set the equipment as

"Bronze axe"
"Iron breastplate"

First choose the type, then go over it (should read just "Battleaxe" and press M to choose material.) Not specific weapon. They should pick em up.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:50:57 pm »

i just set one of my military guys to dump his axe after assigning him a mace in the equip menu.  he still has the axe and hasnt touched the mace :(

this is a new fortress

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:38 pm »

i just set one of my military guys to dump his axe after assigning him a mace in the equip menu.  he still has the axe and hasnt touched the mace :(

this is a new fortress
This was fixed in not-yet-released 31.11, http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=648
I dont think there is solution for that w/out switching to new version.
However, wearing multiple weapons does not seem to affect combat performance, at least at legendary levels.

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »

this is a new fortress
This was fixed in not-yet-released 31.11, http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=648
I dont think there is solution for that w/out switching to new version.
However, wearing multiple weapons does not seem to affect combat performance, at least at legendary levels.
when is the new version being released then?  im dying to make a legendary dwarven army lol.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:14:27 am »

Bow wow...ow...my dwarves just ditched all their silver & steel equipment in favour of their old iron weapons.

Then came a gobbo siege.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

crucifier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:33:53 am »

i cant get any of my archers to equip any bolts :(  quivers are just lying around, unused, same with lots of bolts