Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hunter won't hunt  (Read 10429 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter won't hunt
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 04:47:15 pm »

My hunters were equally ineffectual until I purchased a ton of quivers from the caravan and assigned the dwarves iron bolts in the military equip section (they don't need to be a squad, but hunter ammo is handled in the military screen, too).  Now they're shooting up the countryside non-stop with their iron bolts and their marksdwarf skill is increasing quite well!  I have yet to get the constructed archery targets to work, so for now, any dwarf with an inclination for ranged combat is made into a hunter.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

Any ranged weapon skill users are horribly unreliable.
Example: Skilled marksdwarves refusing to pick up bolts and instead trying to beat baddies to death with their crossbow.

Considering the nerfing of bolts in this version, you should be happy your dwarf is beating the baddies with the crossbow instead of actually trying to shoot them, lol.

And VerdantSF has the right idea.  You need quivers in this version to use any ranged weapon in fortress mode.

levohS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:16 pm »

I had the same problem. 3 Hunters running inside the fortress and 3 elephants that had managed to sneak inside and were rampaging through everything. Couldn't get the hunters to do anything so I had to place cage traps everywhere. Which in itself were a bit of a pain because tamed animals kept triggering them.

And now I have a farmer stuck in the map constantly getting rest interrupted by a tame elephant who is z-levels away...

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 08:36:07 pm »

I have never gotten one of my starting 7 to hunt.

I got 2 hunters from migration waves and without touching them they hunted fine until they ran out of bolts, at which time I simply repurposed them instead of swimming against the tide and trying to find a workaround fix.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »

Are you by chance assigning them Hunter jobs using Dwarf Therapist?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 [2]