Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where are my bars and charcoal, and how can I move stocked stuff?  (Read 2095 times)

il mietitore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Where are my bars and charcoal, and how can I move stocked stuff?
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »

Hi everybody, I'm new down here ;)

Since I play DF since just a few days (a couple of weeks, but I didn't play it continously) I'm having my first troubles, so I'm here to ask for some help in getting rid of them.

First of all: I can't find my bars.

I've made 3 smelters, and my dwarves are working there to smelt ores into bars. Here's the working area:

Now, the stockpile in front of the smelters should be entirely dedicated to metal bars. As you see, it's emtpy, but according to the stock status menu there are 71 bars stocked *somewhere*. If I observe and follow the dwarves working, they just make them and then go drinking or eating, without apparently moving them. I suppose they are stocking all those bars right in the smelters, and I'm not sure if that's normal.

I checked all of the stockpile, they do not accept bars, so they aren't there.

What's more: charcoal is the same. It should be stocked in that big stockpile you see in the upper right of the floor, but as you see it's empty. When dwarves need charcoal to smelt ores, they go directly in the wood furnace, take the charcoal, and use it. Why isn't it getting stocked?

And in the end: I made a stockpile just for ores (the down-left stockpile). I have forbidden ores in the other stone stockpiles, but not a dwarf is going to move those hematite ores in their new place. Yet if I designate it to be reclaimed (d-b-c) it gets highlighted (I admit I have the same problems with garbaged items and corpses, so I think I still have to completely figure out how to stock items :\

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Where are my bars and charcoal, and how can I move stocked stuff?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »

Did you check the smelters with i(t)ems? That would show you all the objects that make up, are hidden by, and tasked for a job in whatever you've selected.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

If an item is made but not moved to the stockpile, it will be still in the workshop, and as said above you can see the contents of the workshop building with 't'. The bigger question is: why aren't they moving the bars to your bar stockpile. Did you fiddle with the settings, excluding certain kinds of bars?

The other question: if you have stuff in stockpile A that you want to move to stockpile B, you have two options: forbid that kind of stuff in A, and they will move it to B eventually; or set A to (g)ive to B and they will also move it as long as there is room in B.

I you're moving a lot of ore around I would make sure to have 2 or 3 wheelbarrows for every stockpile. I generally have separate stockpiles for each category of ore (copper, coal, iron, luxury, etc) for easy visual inspection and to prevent the stockpile being flooded with one kind of ore, forcing the smelter to hike all the way down to the mines to get the other kind of ore for which there was no room in the pile anymore...

il mietitore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

I checked, the stockpile settings include all the right materials.

I just found a new trouble regarding those stockpiles, anyway: now the masons don't take the stone to work with from the stockpile surrounding them, but go ten floors down them, getting it from the mine :\ I followed one of them and I saw them walking all the way down there just to take the stones >.<

They could at least use the dump pile just out of their door.

(EDIT: No wait, they stopped O_O)

Any suggestions? :(

The ores aren't getting moved via the "[g]ive to a pile/workshop" command, and I confirm that the bars are lying in the smelters (I checked with the [t] command as you suggested).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:58:28 pm by il mietitore »

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »

As far as I understand game mechanics, a mason that gets a "create X" job will path to the nearest available rock* from where he is standing, not from the workshop. So, if the mason was off doing something else, he can spend a lot of time carrying a rock near that something else to the workshop. The way to avoid this is by setting the stone pile to (g)ive to the workshop, which restricts the workshop to stones from that pile.

The piles are still strange. Have you checked that the piles are reachable (no burrows, locked doors, unusable ramps etc) and that there are idle haulers? Are the piles set to accept from anywhere (as opposed to 'from links only')?

*) nearest in a straight line, so if the rock is directly beneath the mason but he has to go 30 squares to get to the stairs and back, it counts as distance 1...

il mietitore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »

All the stockpiles are now set this way:

The situation is still the same as the first screenshot: there isn't anything but a wooden door between a stockpile and the other. And all the doors are set this way:

Yet it isn't working :(

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:13:41 am »

well you could try turning off wheelbarrows.  With max WB set to a number other than 0 it will limit the number of jobs to the number of WB's assigned.  with it set to 0 it can potentialy generate 1 job for every single open tile of stockpile.  This will generaly cause your entire avalible hauler force to go grab a rock or whatever and haul it over.  actualy stupid question but you didnt by anychance turn off stone and item hauling on most/all of your dwarves did you?  cause that would be one thing that could result in your current issue.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:03:09 pm »

In terms of WHERE items that show under 'stocks': if you use tab key you can select a specific item and (z)oom to its location.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

il mietitore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »

I set the Wheelbarrows to 0 for a couple of stockpiles (I suppose I wrongly put it to 1 while I was clicking around), yet it doesn't work.

I checked some Dwarf, they all have all of the hauling option activated (I deactivated them only for someone like the Booker and the Fish guys), so that still isn't the deal.

I don't think I have a shortage of labour too:

:-\