Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 894 times)

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire
« on: May 22, 2010, 04:19:19 pm »

So, I'm looking for ways to start a fire without dumping magma everywhere. Any tips? Willing to say.. dig beneath something and lay stuff 1 zlevel up if that'd work.

Also related- How can I get a burning object into a bin to have the ability to easily clear out flooded places? :D
Sig to be updated momentarily.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »

I don't know about the flooding part, but magma-temperature flames should boil it.

If you want to roast something, your best option is to put lignite (or bituminous coal, coke and charcoal might also work but I haven't set fire to any and don't know for how long they'd burn) in a hole with a fire breathing creature, and dump enemies down there for it to fight until it sets fire to the lignite. It'll burn for about a month or two, the creature could be ignored or released, and you can just dump more lignite on at the end of each month. Make sure the lignite is in the place you want it to be at finish, dwarves hauling it are guaranteed to die.

There's no simple way to set a fire. Even (or especially, if you're not careful) by modding in a material and then setting it to burn at room temperature and with magma-like heat, you're dealing with some bad mojo. It's one of the things I'm hoping for in future releases, reliable oil-powered lamps to bring light into fortresses in adventure mode, especially if there's a portable one.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.