Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A (Hopefully new) Trap suggestion  (Read 1136 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A (Hopefully new) Trap suggestion
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:50 am »

1) Traps effect everyone.
2) Friendlies/TRAPAVOID treat traps as restricted for pathing.
3) Walling off your fortress with traps is bad for your dwarfs.
4) Millitary use nearby traps in wrestling.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thoughts? Comments? Critiques? Flames?

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A (Hopefully new) Trap suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:48:27 am »

Well, for use in wrestling it would be awesome (I love combat reports, the more awesome the better) But to restrict pathing would just be useless, your dwarfs know exactly where to step to avoid the 10 +Serrated Iron Disc+ Armokdamnit!!! The fact that the kobolds can also see the holes in the wall and tripwires for the crossbow traps just mean kobolds have a little bit of dwarf in them.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:12:33 am »

The idea behind 1 & 2 was to discourage simply filling a corridoor with traps and perhaps encourage careful placement.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:38 am »

I think it would be better if not all monsters where easily trapped.
Then u would have to find other ways to kill them.

Enemy's with shield for example could just hold there schield above there head to block stone fall traps.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:25 am »

Enemy's with shield for example could just hold there schield above there head to block stone fall traps.
If the stonefall trap crushes the enemy underneath, I'd expect the shield would only add a flatter crushing surface.

Wakmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 07:46:13 am »

It depends on the trap.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:49 am »

The idea behind 1 & 2 was to discourage simply filling a corridoor with traps and perhaps encourage careful placement.
Well you could still do that to some extent.  For example, just fill the corridor with a checkerboard pattern of traps, friendlies can move freely by just skipping down the corridors on the safe tiles, while non-friendlies try to just walk straight down the corridor and get hit by them.

3-wide entrances could be done too, just make a non-trapped safe path that winds around a bit going down the corridor, but where any straight line would run into traps.  But at least it's an improvement.

Personally, I'd like to see traps broken down more into specific components that actually take some space to place them in, and power (dwarf or machine) to reset, and such like that, that could be triggered by levers, or pressure plates(that actually work on weight on them, from anything, not being magical friend-or-foe-or-fluid detectors like they are now.)

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:15:05 am »

If the stonefall trap crushes the enemy underneath, I'd expect the shield would only add a flatter crushing surface.
Also, let's not forget how ungodly heavy these rocks must be to insta-red about half of a goblin in 40d.(haven't tried lately)

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:28:21 pm »

so what you're proposing is more of a trap nerf than anything else. Which, might actually happen eventually. I do admit it's a bit cheesy to just flood a hall with stone-fall and/or cage traps and never have to worry about invaders again except to occasionally collect the bodies/reset the traps.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:30:03 pm »

Now.... theoretically, you could still completely trap an entrance. If you rig your fortress to seal off it's main entrance when trouble happens, you can still deal 'fun' to seigers via ballista and trap hallway.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:55:51 am »

Let's not forget that it also means that dwarves in the heat of combat (dodging a blow or being pushed over) would accidentally activate traps (as well they might)!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

I personally don't use traps because they are highly unrealistic and overpowered at the moment, but I liked these suggestions, especially number four ;D.

The best way to do this, of course, would be to make traps realistic. Currently, you can just place a trap and say "okay, here's an invisible ethereal cage that will solidify and trap when an enemy walks into it, be it a wolf, goblin or dragon, keeping them sealed indefinitely!". You should have to actually build traps part by part, the same way you do pump systems or mills.

That, and the DF Talk idea of Toady that enemies "learn" by trial and error where traps are, and change their pathing accordingly or gain the ability to avoid known traps.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:39:31 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore