Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Construct: Secret Door/Hatch  (Read 831 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Construct: Secret Door/Hatch
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:24:00 am »

Now that we have rewalling, would it be possible to allow us to build secret doors and hatches that have the appearance of constructed walls or tiles, respectively? I know there isn't much use for this in Dwarf mode, but it would add a lot to Adventure mode.

The major benefit to this is to allow the use of lever or pressure plates to open paths that were previously not evident.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Construct: Secret Door/Hatch
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:51:00 am »

That would be excellent! I'd love to have a community fortress-styled dungeon crawl on a pre-made fort.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:42:00 am »

It could also be useful as the enemy AI gets smarter.  Enemies will know to bash down a locked door or raised drawbridge, but they might not find a secret one.  (Although they should get a chance at spotting it, based on its quality.  Higher-quality secret doors would be more difficult to recognize...)
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

And, of course, if they see a dwarf using one...
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:41:00 pm »

ARISE FROM THE GRAVE!!!!

This could be expanded on with "secret levers". A usage for "looking" at the nearby walls.

"Here we have a Shale Block Wall. Something looks suspicious about one of the blocks"

u

"The Wall moves to the side"

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:00 am »

With smarter AIs, this is definitely something I want to see. I've always wanted to build a massive mansion with hidden passages all over!
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

Much agreement! I have often wanted hidden passages. I imagine not only smooth rock walls, but even natural cliff faces could have hidden doors. A whole fortress, hidden in the rock walls of the cliff!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

The door wouldn't be a Construction, it would be a door.  What we could do, though, is install a normal door and then engrave it to look like the surrounding wall.  This would work for any kind of wall--natural, smooth, constructed, engraved.  (Though if there's some kind of skill check to spot the hidden door, it would be easiest for natural walls since they're the hardest to get right.)

This could also apply to floor hatches and (especially) pressure plates.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Then how do you engrave the floor under the door (which is still a piece of furniture) without removing and reinstalling it?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Align:
<STRONG>Then how do you engrave the floor under the door (which is still a piece of furniture) without removing and reinstalling it?</STRONG>

The engraving job would come from the [q] menu for the door or hatch.  (It's an operation on the door, not the floor.)