Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temperature View  (Read 443 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Temperature View
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:55:15 pm »

I would find it very helpful during either Fortress Mode or Adventurer Mode to be able to see the actual temperature values of objects, creatures, and rooms themselves, either with a number when you hit K or with a view that displays the temperature in a color, similar to how defining high\low-traffic rooms are shown. While it may not be too useful to most people, I would find it extremely useful in debugging certain modded critters who generate/absorb heat.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Temperature View
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

Sim City had several views like pollution, crime level, police coverage, etc.

More of this in DF would be very welcome. Room value, inside/outside, light/dark, temperature as you suggested, military stations and patrol routes, that sort of thing.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:45:47 pm »

Completely seconded. Other candidates: item quality, item value, item material category, happiness, distance from cursor, whatever magic ends up needing (Emperor:Rise of the Middle Kingdom had a feng shui view: harmonious feng shui increases productivity etc.: it was very entertaining to get that to perfect), etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 04:34:00 pm »

A "stress"-view could be utilised for the,in the df-talk 8 mentioned, advanced cave-in-system. If this view could be shown while building/designation it would be a nice way to help the player in building his stuff.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:05 pm »

Agreed, maybe make it an extension to the [D]epot access view. Have a [D]isplay menu which lists all possible display modes, then simply select which one is needed.

Additional suggested modes:

Water quality (fresh, salty, muddy, full of cat corpses, etc)

(may add more as I think of them)
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.