Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pile option- Remove Only.  (Read 723 times)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pile option- Remove Only.
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:05:00 am »

As I was using the building of farming plots to clear my indoor tree farm I had a thought.

Dwarves like to use stuff from stockpiles first. So if there was the option for stockpiles to not admit new items, we could designate a stone stockpile beneth recent mining areas and dwarves would use the stone from there first. This would help to clear out areas without the massive hauling chaos and other problems of large stone piles.

Still a rough idea, I'll have to think more on this.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pile option- Remove Only.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 07:43:00 pm »

You can set your existing mining stockpiles to not accept any type of ore or stone, by manually unselecting them. You leave stone enabled, but then remove limestone, moonstone, obsidian, granite, etc. one by one.

I did this with my old ore stockpiles when I shifted smelting over to the magma.  I disabled each kind of ore in my old stockpile, but left it as an ore stockpile.  Then I told my new ore stockpile to take from the old pile.  It seems to be working, the new piles are full, and the old pile is slowly dwindling.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pile option- Remove Only.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 08:56:00 pm »

Yep, something along these lines has been proposed several times.  It would probably work better as a designation ("clear area") than as a stockpile.

You don't have to clear your forest rooms, though: tower-caps and shrubs will still grow on squares with a rock in them.