Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naked Soldiers  (Read 1303 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naked Soldiers
« on: April 15, 2010, 05:58:09 pm »

I'm experimenting with squads right now... I assigned a uniform to a two man axe squad (one male, one female). I set it so that it replaces clothing. I even had 5 of each type of armor (head, torso, legs, hands, feet, shield) all iron.

But inventory shows that they have nothing, except when hualing. All that armor is still sitting in the stockpile and all their cloths are sitting in the finished goods stockpile.

Although this now makes all those dodging demonstrations very interesting.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naked Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »

Have you assigned an arsenal dwarf noble yet? If the option is there in the nobles screen, then you need to assign one in order to have your dwarves update their equipment.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »

ooooooooooooooooooohh... so that's why...

oh well I have now found a way to force dwarves to be naked... a whole new slew of fun things are now possible.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »

Anything made early on should be accessible without arsenal dwarf, but after a while (either once you get a mayor or after a certain amount of time, I'm not sure) it starts requiring an arsenal dwarf to recognize any newly made items. You can see if something is available for use by trying to assign something as a specific item for them to wear. If it's in the list, it's available. If not, you need the arsenal dwarf to visit his office and recognize it.

I've had no trouble getting dwarves to suit up after having the arsenal dwarf recognize the items being present. You can even specify the exact items you want them to use. I have two of my dwarves using artifact steel battle axes using the specific item assignment. It also works to get them to put on two gloves if they're stupid and are only wearing one - just assign another one specifically and they'll pick it up after you refresh them.

Speaking of refreshing them, I find that sometimes they need a little help to get equipped. After you've set them to wear the stuff and they haven't, go into their orders menu and adjust the uniform option for the month that you are in to "Inactive: Civ Clothes" (M for military, s for schedule, scroll to the rcurrent month and u for the toggle). Once that's done then just make sure they're inactive and let them drop anything they happen to have. Then turn the option off and they'll run and grab the stuff.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

czolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »

20 dorfs looks to be the trigger for the Arsenal Dorf
Sic sum in ignis; sic sum quiritatio

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:38:30 pm »

The annoying thing about the arsenal dwarf is he keeps "updating squad equipment" which sends them back to the stockpiles to trade gear every month or so. Recently it happened while I had them posted to watch for ambushes while a caravan came, and they ran inside right as the ambush was coming and the ambush made it deep inside my fort and killed a dwarf because the squad was busy trading gear back and forth at the stockpile and wouldn't obey my move or kill orders.

It's even worse if you don't have a stockpile - they drop the gear on the ground where they are. I lost my entire military once when he suddenly did an upgrade equipment order like 2 seconds before the goblins got in range (I had the dwarves in position to intercept them). They dropped all their armor and weapons right as the bow goblins started shooting.

The stupid thing is they are all wearing masterwork steel gear. There ARE no upgrades. All he does is have them run to the stockpile, drop their gear, and trade it around - they end up with the exact same gear as they started with, just different pieces on different dwarves.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »

Yea I have that same problem, at any given time half of all my squads are swapping out equipment, and somehow they all end up with either 2-3 or 0 weapons and shields.  I think they like to pick up extra items, then drop them when going off duty, then someone decides they want that item and the arsenaldwarf has to make another manifest. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:36:20 pm »

The annoying thing about the arsenal dwarf is he keeps "updating squad equipment" which sends them back to the stockpiles to trade gear every month or so. Recently it happened while I had them posted to watch for ambushes while a caravan came, and they ran inside right as the ambush was coming and the ambush made it deep inside my fort and killed a dwarf because the squad was busy trading gear back and forth at the stockpile and wouldn't obey my move or kill orders.

It's even worse if you don't have a stockpile - they drop the gear on the ground where they are. I lost my entire military once when he suddenly did an upgrade equipment order like 2 seconds before the goblins got in range (I had the dwarves in position to intercept them). They dropped all their armor and weapons right as the bow goblins started shooting.

The stupid thing is they are all wearing masterwork steel gear. There ARE no upgrades. All he does is have them run to the stockpile, drop their gear, and trade it around - they end up with the exact same gear as they started with, just different pieces on different dwarves.
My dwarves kept swapping swords, which was preventing naming.