Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedurely generated Philosophers, duh!  (Read 1209 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Procedurely generated Philosophers, duh!
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:35 pm »

I hope I got that term correct.  A philosopher's role in your fortress would depend on exactly who he is.  Think of any real world philosopher and how they behaved and what they taught, if they taught at all.  A philosopher's philosophies could be a procedurely generated mix of these.  His resulting behavior could make him popular, unpopular, be ignored, so on and so forth.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:35:32 pm by Euld »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurely generated Philosophers, duh!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 01:25:17 am »

I give you full permission to call me rude, gauche, or douchebaggy; here is the thread where your idea goes:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4332.0

it's a good idea, though.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:48:07 am »

Urist McKant raves about how knowledge derived from observation cannot be trusted.

Urist McRealist decides to use Urist McKant to test whether magma is really hot.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

Empedocles died pretty dwarfily. Philosophers would be hilarious if they had quirks that make most dwarves look normal.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:12 am »

Those old philosophers had a thing for volcanos, apparently.  Pliny the Elder was more of a natural philosopher, and when Vesuvius started smoking he actually travelled to Pompeii to check it out while everyone else was running away.  Got a bit TOO close though....

Silly Romans, the Philosopher is the one noble you DONT need to toss in the magma.  Nero would have been a better choice.