Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tools?  (Read 765 times)

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tools?
« on: November 25, 2006, 02:56:00 am »

The only tools i see so far are axes for tree chopping, and picks for mining.

Any thought to adding other specific to each profession?

I guess that could be a heck of alot of tools all told.

I'm reminded of WURM online, where each profession has several tools needed to even start basic production, and Cultures 2, where just a basic "tools" is given out to increase productivity and speed of work.

Thoughts?

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 03:16:00 am »

At the very least - Fisherdwarves MUST have some "drill" tool to fish in winter, and Metalsmiths should wield hammers.

Oh, and Masons should have their chisels.

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 04:10:00 pm »

Well yes. If not specific tools, just some craft, maybe Tinker, that can make "a tool" for people.

I've never seen a carpenter make a chair with his bare hands before.    :D

Would it be too hard to add tools?

Would it be a big hassle? or just something that Toady isn't interested in adding?

[ November 25, 2006: Message edited by: Dumatoin ]

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »

For workshop crafts I assume that the tools are part of the workshop, rather than each dwarf having his own personal set of tools.  The carpenter isn't using his bare hands to make chairs, he is making them using the tools that are part of the carpentry shop.  That is the whole purpose of having workshops.  If everyone carried around their own tools they could work anywhere, right?

Wood cutters and miners need mobile tools, because you can't very well haul the tree or mountain back to your workshop.

Building designers (masons, usually) could probably use some kind of tool set though.  They DO build roads and bridges using nothing but their bare hands, and that seems strange.  Then again, a dwarf in a bad mood can totally dismantle that bridge with a single punch, so maybe they just aren't very well constructed?    :p

Pod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

How about having it so that workshops require the relevant tools before being built?

Also: fisherdwarves need fishing rods  :)

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »

I don't know, if every job needs tools, the construction of which requires more tools and raw materials, which require yet more tools to obtain in the first place, things could get really annoying really quickly.  Even if there's some way to create crude tools using only small rocks, fallen branches, and worms to tie everything together, it would take too much time and micromanagement to collect and assemble them before you even can start building a workshop.  Abstracting this out for dwarf mode is fine with me.

Tools do belong in adventure mode, but that's already planned, I think.