Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoothing out flows  (Read 359 times)

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smoothing out flows
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

One big problem with CPU usage issues right now is that liquid flows never "settle" - after infinite years, a magma vent that loses a tiny bit of magma still has a sole 6-depth square running around in it.

What i'd like to propose is a smoothing algorithm that makes the ripples go away after a certain amount of time.

1) define the body of the liquid.
  Any tile that is adjacent to at least two contiguous solid objects that block flow (floodgates, cavern walls, constructions) is a liquid boundary.
Example:

code:
 These are liquid boundaries.
   xxx     Lxx     xLx
   LCL     LCL     xCL
   LLL     LLL     LLx

These are not boundaries.
   LxL     xLx     LxL
   LCL     LCL     xCx
   LxL     LLL     LxL
C= current tile
L= liquid  
x= solid object

2)Handle depth changes/determine state of flux
Any time a depth change occurs at a liquid boundary, the surrounding liquid-containing tiles are examined for fluid depth. If there is a variation of 2 or more between the low depth and high depth in the 'block', liquid continues as per currently. If not, proceed to step 3.

3) Flow reduction.
Take the average depth of liquid in the block (floating point) and set the depth of each tile to that number the next "tick", rounding up >.5 and truncating otherwise.

I understand this may lead to undesirable results - draining a small portion of a reservoir would end up not decreasing its depth at all, but I think it would be nice to be able to have flows not chug processor cycles for ever and ever.

If you're really picky about having realistic fluid volume, just change the depth to be stored as floating-point and displayed as integer.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: puffs ]