Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Civ leader leads second ambush (40d)  (Read 893 times)

altereggo

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Recognize my ava? *shh*...
    • View Profile
Goblin Civ leader leads second ambush (40d)
« on: April 16, 2010, 12:59:31 am »

So a human swordmaster, leader of the goblin civ at war with me, decided to lead the second ever ambush sent against my fort. He spent a year naked in a cage before I checked the civs page and noticed the name. Now he lives in a gold cage in my dining hall, next to my pet hydra and the all-artifact well.
The gobbos still send ambushes and sieges regularly (and it is bloody hard to protect caravans on a 5x7 map).

This raises some questions:
Does this happen often? I had assumed civ leaders only led sieges.
Would they get a new leader if I killed him?
Would they attack more or less if I killed him? My leg-bonecrafter has a serious goblin-bone addiction to feed.

Finally, how would they feel about a masterwork human skull totem on a pillar next to my main gate? :D

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Civ leader leads second ambush (40d)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 01:19:16 am »

Nice. I've gotten plenty of nobles before, but no actual leaders.

Taking his weapon was funny, but I would have let him keep it, and then make him fight in your arena.

You *do* have an arena, right?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

altereggo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:30:49 am »

Well, more of a pincushion factory to train marksdwarves using their last victims' bones. I don't want to kill him until I know what will happen.
And I melted his sword and armor before I even noticed who he was, unfortunately.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:33:54 am »

all-artifact well

wait, like a well made entirely out of artifacts?

you can get artifact blocks?

WHY CAN'T I HAVE NICE THINGS. it's always crowns and bracelets and trumpets

altereggo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:42:47 am »

Not blocks, unfortunately. I noticed I had a goblin-bone chain, an aluminum mechanism (w/ platinum decorations!), and an alder(?) bucket as artifacts, so I thought 'what the hell?'
Soon I'll test how many rooms I can have in the same space before they're anything less than legendary...

The trick to artifacts seems to be managing moodable skills, and stockpiling nice materials for them. I hate bloody miners, because as you've seen they always make useless crafts. Just make sure all your steel-loving haulers have some armorsmithing practice, and so forth. Time intensive on immigration, but totally worth it.
So far my worst has been an undecorated goblin-bone maul... so useless they never even moved it out of the shop.