Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbid certain jobs to be done at a specific workshop  (Read 1222 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbid certain jobs to be done at a specific workshop
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:36:37 pm »

For example, you might have a separate kitchen nearby a fat stockpile to render the fat. The manager typically queues jobs, for example prepare lavish meal, everywhere... and that render fat kitchen might be a long way from the food stockpiles, generating unnecessary traffic. Forbidding jobs at specific workshops would prevent the manager to ignore your fortress workshop and stockpile layout.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forbid certain jobs to be done at a specific workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:41:59 pm »

Queue 10 Render Fat jobs on Repeat. Manages won't add any orders if queue is full.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:51:07 pm »

Yes, but if you don't have fat at some point those jobs will be canceled and the shop could then end up with the Meal orders instead. Which means that's only reliable if you're careful or if it's an infinite task (like sand collection). I too would like to stop order from a specific workshop. For instance, I'd like to restrict certain forges to specific smiths. But I don't want my Steel Sword orders to go to the forges assigned to my Legendary Metalcrafters any more then I want my Golden Goblet orders to go to my weaponsmiths. The ability to restrict what orders are accepted at a workshop would be very useful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »

Steel Swords and Golden Goblets need different profesions enabled so your example fails. :P

Edit: Oh wait, I get it. If you assign a forge to weaponsmith and it receives metalcrafting job, noone will work there...

Anyway a setting to forbid a certain workshop from receiving manager orders would be nice.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:02:44 pm by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:06:45 pm »

Queue 10 Render Fat jobs on Repeat. Manages won't add any orders if queue is full.
Persistent repeat jobs - that aren't canceled at the slightest interruption - would be useful in their own right.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:36 pm »

Another useful thing would be the ability to toggle whether or not a workshop can have jobs assigned by the manager or only manually.

For example, I keep around a non-magma forge in case of strange moods. However, I generally don't want anyone working there unless I really need to (since it uses up fuel unnecessarily). I'd like to turn off jobs to that forge from the manager.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:25:44 pm »

If you don't use a workshop and don't want manager orders to be queued there either forbid the materials workshop is made from, or add 10 suspended jobs to it. This is just a workaround, I would be happy to see a better solution of course.

Persistent repeat jobs - that aren't canceled at the slightest interruption - would be useful in their own right.

Yeah it would be awesome, but would probably require quite a lot of work to program. Available materials will need to be tracked so that dwarves don't take the job unless there is something to work with.
Otherwise you would get endless spam of "<dwarf> cancels <job>: no <material> available"...
It explodes in gore!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:41:53 pm by Footkerchief »