Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Learning how to play D&D  (Read 2719 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Learning how to play D&D
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 05:58:20 pm »

3.5 is also a battle game. I find it difficult to roleplay with it, as well, due to the pressure to minmax as you get higher and higher in level (the game was balanced for minmaxing PCs loaded to bear with magic items. Word.). It can be done, though. It is more difficult to roleplay in 4E, though, I agree.

Granted, there aren't very many quality fantasy rpgs (I can't even think of any, other than D&D). This is the most ironic thing. I spend a lot of time playing Mutants and Masterminds, Traveller, World of Darkness, and the like, instead.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 06:57:57 pm »

Whoa. Traveller. Good man! I havent seen that come up in a long time. For being so epic, its a shame it has such limited popularity these days. I'd love to play it again sometime, but even in SF i cant find a good group.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 08:00:18 pm »

I was going to start a game of it on the forum, but my uni work schedule killed it when I had no free weekends. Maybe in the summer, when I just have to worry about manual labouring.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Pathos

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:43 am »

I think Cthulhu ( its fun typing this because of his name, btw ) rather misunderstood my remark. Its not that you cant roleplay, its that your options are somewhat paradoxically limited by the intense specialization of each class and skill tree. You can still say whatever you want, but unless you're a Warlord, good luck trying to lead soldiers, etc.
I'm not saying its a bad game. I'm saying its a battle game, and if you like battle games ( like warhammer ) you'll like it more, as is Cthulhu's case. But if you like more story-based campaigns that entail more than just fighting, 3.5 is a much stronger game.

Surprisingly, the first edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is amazing, especially if you're playing The Enemy Within campaign. Too bad the game itself got butchered in subsequent editions.

I assume you're referring to the tabletop game, however. =p
Pages: 1 2 [3]