Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make coke from bituminous coal: Needs tiger iron  (Read 2130 times)

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make coke from bituminous coal: Needs tiger iron
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:55:38 pm »

I just noticed that I can no longer make coke in my fortress. I noticed that the job had disappeared from the smelter, so I looked through the other workshops and couldn't find it. Then, I added it through the manager, and all the jobs were just canceled, spamming one

Reg Kolibruk, Metalsmith cancels Make coke from bituminous coal: Needs tiger iron.

for each cancellation. What gives? The raws look correct, both in the region folder and the ordinary raw directory. Where else could this go wrong? This is Moistenedcrafts, a fort started in 31.01 and now running under 31.03. Save and reload doesn't seem to help.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Make coke from bituminous coal: Needs tiger iron
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:03:18 pm »

a fort started in 31.01 and now running under 31.03.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess this has something to do with it.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:15:01 pm »

I'll raise you a limb, same problem occurs running an old version of that fort on 31.01.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:26:38 pm »

Sometimes the elven caravan brings tigermen, you know what to do.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:29:56 pm »

I'll raise you a limb, same problem occurs running an old version of that fort on 31.01.

When you checked the raw files, you did check the ones in the data/save/*yourregion* folder right?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

Have you checked your coal/lignite stocks?

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 02:57:03 pm »

My 2 bits: tiger iron is a gem.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:14 pm »

Similar problem was reported in 40d. Person in question changed their raw file contents by alphabetically organizing the minerals file and then tried running an old save. Game started requiring odd things to make metals or coke. Basically the program numbered the entries and when the order was altered it still went by the old position of the mineral (#1 was hematite, #2 was limonite but when alphabetized #1 was alabaster and #2 aluminum, both were now iron ores). Likely what has happened is that the change between 31.01 and 31.03 resulting in the alteration of the order of the minerals/stones and/or the order of the files in the raw folder.

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 03:47:30 pm »

When you checked the raw files, you did check the ones in the data/save/*yourregion* folder right?

Hm. The only thing that I changed in the data/save/region raws versus the original 31.01 raws is the soap globs -> bars change, but it seems plausible that this is what broke it. I'll try tomorrow with a new fort, even though it's probably of historical interest only.

PS: I even have a caged tigerman doctor somewhere, but he belongs to an elf merchant who's been sitting out there in my trade depot - but in a non-trading state - for some years, ever since his caravan took the brunt of my first bunch of goblin assaults. I thought about having him killed a couple of times, but my military is so sadly inept that they have their hands full bashing crundles to death with their shields, so I wouldn't want to risk angering the elves.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:51:50 pm by themel »

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:59:22 pm »

Wait, you ported your savegame from .01 to .03 without changing to the new raws? That might explain things. :/

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

I moved from 31.02 to 31.03 and now it claims I need 150 bars of copper, 75 gold and 75 silver to make one bar of black bronze that a noble requested (it should be 2:1:1 bars per black bronze). There must be some glitches in smelting when switching between versions.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:05 pm »

raw files are now being copied into save directory before use...which means if you don't replace your raw files with that come from 31.03, you are essentially still using the raw files from 31.01/02 from which your fort started...
a simple delete&replace might work, but I never tried(new fort every new version...tend not to survive long:P)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:53 pm »

I moved from 31.02 to 31.03 and now it claims I need 150 bars of copper, 75 gold and 75 silver to make one bar of black bronze that a noble requested (it should be 2:1:1 bars per black bronze). There must be some glitches in smelting when switching between versions.
No glitch here, except for the wording. It actually means 150 units of copper (one bar) and 75 units (half a bar) each of gold and silver.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:02 pm »

No glitch here, except for the wording. It actually means 150 units of copper (one bar) and 75 units (half a bar) each of gold and silver.

Ah, I see. Weird that I got the error messages then because I had more than enough of all the bars.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

themel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 03:03:58 am »

Wait, you ported your savegame from .01 to .03 without changing to the new raws? That might explain things. :/

Well, yes, I did that, but as I said earlier, the problem also occurs in 31.01 for that world, where I did nothing but change soap to produce bars instead of globs, but apparently this is enough to screw things up. Sadly, I jusr regenned, re-embarked and played around with a smelter and soap, and now there are no problems at all. Guess I'll have to give up on either coal or the old fort, then.