Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rewalling and water  (Read 575 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rewalling and water
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:06:00 am »

Right now, I am trying to redirect a river. It would be very helpful if I could rewall tiles with water in them from above. It seems realistic enough, The dwarf just has to lower the rock into the water.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rewalling and water
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

Build a floor.  Build a wall.  Remove the floor.
code:

.~~~#+..
.~~~~~..

Will get you most of the way, the last two would have to be built on the next z-level up.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 01:43:00 pm »

But don't constructed walls disintergrate into separate stones that don't block anything?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>But don't constructed walls disintergrate into separate stones that don't block anything?</STRONG>

Yup.  Same thing with wooden walls into logs.  If you want to use a cave-in to block water, you have to rely on natural stone walls, which aren't really an option for blocking the river.

I did post two suggestions a little while back for dealing with building in water.  The first was to extend the level of water in which you can build.  Right now, you can only build in 0/7-1/7 of water.  I suggested increasing the limit to 2/7, since a fairly well pumped area still has smatterings of 1s and 2s in the otherwise non-flooded area.  It'd make it much easier to build in an area that's just kind of damp, but it wouldn't really open up more flooded areas for building, since those quickly go over 2/7 water.

The other suggestion was to allow dropping constructed walls, similar to what's being proposed here.  My suggestion is that a dropped wall would only be 90% waterproof until an appropriately skilled dwarf could get direct access to the wall and adjust it (essentially filling in the cracks or whatever they do when they build normal waterproof walls).  I think such a system would be reasonable, semi-realistic, and would even allow for building in the middle of the ocean with enough effort.

(Edit: Here was the thread:  http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001764 )

[ December 20, 2007: Message edited by: Erasmus Darwin ]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 02:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>But don't constructed walls disintergrate into separate stones that don't block anything?</STRONG>

Touche.  I haven't tried, so I didn't know.  Was just the first thing I thought of that *could* work.

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:24:00 am »

1) dig a large pit.
2) ???
3) profit!

*edit*
If you have a big river, consider digging a huge underground pit.

If you have like a 4-6 tile width river, you can probably make do with pumping it out. Build a parallel channel to the river like so:

code:

Top view:
X~~~~XXXXXXX
X~~~~F_____X
X~~~~XX____X
X~~~~%%____X  
X~~~~%%____X  X = ground  %% = screw pump
X~~~~%%____X  A = axle     X = ground
X~~~W%%____X  ~ = water    F = floodgate
X~~~W%%____X  W = water wheel
X~~~WCCCCCCX  C = constructed wall

Or, if you're hardcore, you can bridge over the river itself:

code:

Side view
Z
0      %%__  %%    
-1   %%_C %%__C___   C = constructed wall
-2 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   _ = constructed floor

Front view
Z
0 C%%%%WC      W = water wheel
-1 CCCCCCC      X = ground
-2 X~~~~~X

Top view
Z 0            Z -1
-------      -----W-    - = open space (i.e. channel)
-------      C%%%%WC    + = constructed floor
-------      C%%%%WC
C----WC      C+++++C
C%%%%WC      CCCCCCC
C%%%%WC      C----WC
C+++++C      C%%%%WC
C+++++C      C%%%%WC
C----WC      C+++++C
C%%%%WC      CCCCCCC
C%%%%WC      C+++++C
C-----C      C+++++C

You need two (or more!) layers of pumps because single-width pumping won't be enough to drain the river.

[ December 21, 2007: Message edited by: puffs ]

[ December 21, 2007: Message edited by: puffs ]

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

I remember that the idea of damming the river came up way back when (back when it the fortress was two-dimensional and it was the river rather than a river.)  I sort of forget what was said, though, and it probably wouldn't be too relevent in the new system, anyway...

Have you tried putting floodgates or grates into the river from above?  Those would be a logical way to do it, too...  and if they're not allowed, maybe they should be eventually.

But I can see some serious problems with this.  Mainly...  damming a river can have massive long-range effects on the overall world map for the world you're working in.  Not only is the shape of the world changed, but any civilizations downstream who depended on the river could be in trouble.  If you could redirect a river, you could even use it to flood enemy cities, fortresses, caves and civilizations without getting close to them.  Is the game equipped to handle all that yet?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

Its not really difficult. Use one screw pump per tile of river width, and put some water wheels closer to the end of the river. Of course now days you can't build walls near the edge of the map so you will make a big mess.

code:

00000000000000E
 0.............E
 0.............E
 0.............E
 0...0000000000E
..0...0g---g....E
 0BBB%%h~www~~~E
 0BBB%%h~www~~~E
 0BBB%%h~www~~~E
..00000.........E

Legend:
g = gear
www = water wheel(really only need one.
h = channel(if it is a brook)
~ = water
B = bridge
E = edge of map
%% = screw pump

[ December 21, 2007: Message edited by: ikkonoishi ]

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.