Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So how deep are these maps?  (Read 2442 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So how deep are these maps?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 07:15:19 am »

Try embarking on a site that is a high elevation and see if that makes a difference.
It doesn't make much difference, really. I am in love with ocean maps at the moment, so I embark on those really flat "beach+adjacent"-zones. There are still more than 120 z-levels below the beach; on every single map that I had a look at by now.

On the most recent map, for instance, the beach&ocean surface is at z=99 (as it's supposed to be); the highest land surface is at z=100; the lowest z-level to which I can move the cursor is in z=-27.

Add in the usual 15 sky z-levels above the highest land surface (cursor can be moved to z=116), and it's a grand total of 144 z-levels, with the usual building restrictions in the highest z-level of course.

I can live with that. :)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 07:56:41 am »

My maximum was 300 zlevels.
Finis sanctificat media.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 08:09:01 am »

In one of my forts I had it goes 325 Z-Levels down; in my most recent one, it's 45.

I kinda like the 45 one better, because it still has all the caverns(they're just closer together) and it's easier to transport stuff.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:08 am »

So how can I influence how deep my map is in worldgen? I want to breach the bottom very quickly for possible fun, how do I accomplish that?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 10:01:19 am »

Well, after much fidgeting around with worldgen stuff, I've created a new world! (*cue godly music*) I've changed the "z-levels above layer" parameters to much larger numbers and embarked somewhere to try it out. The map was over 200 layers deep!

Also that map turned out to be kinda awesome, so will probably save that until the military is fixed in a new release, then start a new game there!
Pages: 1 2 [3]