Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dig what?  (Read 1195 times)

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dig what?
« on: October 08, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »

Just a quick suggestion: in the job list, when my miners are assigned to "Dig" it would be nice if the job description included the material: "Dig limestone", "Dig magnetite", etc.  Every now and then I'll have miners of varying skill working at the same time, and it might be helpful for me to know when a miner of lesser skill is assigned to dig out a valuable stone.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dig what?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:49:25 am »

Sounds reasonable, since every tile is a new job, there should be no problem in reading out what is dug and displaying it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:15 am »

Code-light improvement to provide a workaround for a 'problem' that might not otherwise get fixed?

A+

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:05:54 am »

maybe a "Dig precious materials"
een failing lately?

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:06:15 pm »

Sure; going for "dig", "dig economic stone", "dig metal ore" etc would work for me.  I could see myself just checking the job list every now and then and saying "whoops, I don't need a peasant mining out metal ores" and going to fix it.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 09:47:55 am »

If it's just going to say economic stone, it needs to respect the list so I get a distinction between Chalk (which my entire mountain is made out of) and Coal.

Or maybe just have a basic "Flux stone" vs "Coal" (bituminous and lignite) vs Obsidian

If bauxite (or something new) actually existed in magma regions, "Magma-proof stone" would be another useful designator

Alternately - maybe there could be a way to forbid specific or general stone types from specific miners - i.e. your novices can dig all the gray stone they want, but no ore until they're more experienced.

MetBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:03:28 pm »

I like this idea but... Let's kick it up a notch!

Carve ramp in bauxite
Cut Down Willow Tree
Remove Alunite Block Wall
Dump chalk
Dig Channel through Loamy Sand
Smooth Rough Obsidian Wall
Engrave Smooth Marble Wall

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:25:44 pm »

I'm in favor of this. It would make training new miners easy.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:26 pm »

If it's as easy as it sounds, then it seems a useful little bloat. :)

MetBoy's additional suggestions also sound good - although I guess there's a danger of making the menu much harder to read.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 02:50:21 pm »

Could have a lil' arrow to the right of each generic job title ("Hauling >", "Mining >"), and if you press <some key> it changes into a list of the material types the job interacts with.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 02:59:20 pm »

MetBoy's additional suggestions also sound good - although I guess there's a danger of making the menu much harder to read.

I read the OP as being the job description in the jobs list, not the menu item you designate. So it shouldn't effect the menu overly.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:55:26 am »

I read the OP as being the job description in the jobs list, not the menu item you designate. So it shouldn't effect the menu overly.

Yeah, I was thinking about the 'U'nit list, not the designation menu. Sorry for clumsy wording. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.