Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refusing to do anything.  (Read 954 times)

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refusing to do anything.
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:19:05 am »

In my newest fort all my dwarves minus the original 7 refuse to do any work.  I've had two migrants waves when I made the fort last night both of which worked perfectly fine.  I made it through pretty much the entire first year no problems until I opened up DF this morning to discover that all migrants refuse to do any work at all.  They all just stand over by where the wagon used to be. I deconstructed it this morning and designated a spot in the fortress as a meeting zone in hopes that they would move to the spot as opposed to standing around like morons but to no avail.  They still just mill around by where it was as opposed to doing any of the hauling/dumping jobs or, in the case of the mason, building jobs.

I used DT last night so maybe that has something to do with it?  I'd really like to not have to start over again, any suggestions?  I won't be able to deliver results till later today as I'm at school but I'm at a loss.  I tried getting it to work for about an hour this morning...

Edit:  Oh yea just started playing recently and been lurking the forums.  I just wanna say hi and its nice to play a game with such a great community.

tieme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refusing to do anything.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:29 am »

I'd pull up DT again.  First make sure you didn't assign mining and woodcutting with DT - it's well documented that its buggy and often doesn't work.  Simply pull up the offending dwarves in game and de/re activate mining and woodcutting.

If it isn't mining or wood cutting pull up DT anyways and reload the info.  Make sure they are still set to do the skills you think you set them to.  Often times I will use DT to set all my labors and forget to apply the changes (remember simply clicking a box only sets a pending change, you have to commit it afterwards).

Also a save and game restart never hurts.

Beyond that I'm not sure, report back with results.

/e: Typo
Toady Standard Time has no fixed relationship to UTC.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:33 am »

I had actually tried assigning tasks using the in-game interface when I first encountered it.  Like I said it was only the migrants not responding, the original 7 still go about doing what I say to.  I'll try messing around with DT more when I get home and report back anyway though.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:01 am »

I had actually tried assigning tasks using the in-game interface when I first encountered it.  Like I said it was only the migrants not responding, the original 7 still go about doing what I say to.  I'll try messing around with DT more when I get home and report back anyway though.

How recent was the imigration?  I've noticed that when my immigrants first show up, they are flashing an 'X' and refuse to do anything.  After a few minutes, they stop flashing an 'X' and get to work.  I'm not really sure why, but that's what I've noticed.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:46:09 am »

It's two different waves.  One was with 8, the other was 6.  Both waves were preforming tasks last night, mostly just filling the pond that I dezoned after I got 1/7 on all tiles for a farm.  I had finished some ramps for my excessively long main entrance after I realized I had messed up most of them before closing it.  I had the dwarf caravan come and go last night too.  It wasn't until I opened it up this morning that I ran into this problem.  This may have started right after I finished the ramps but it shouldn't be the ramps since I have a back entrance that leads to the murky pools/trees in the back right corner of the embark site.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:14 am »

It's two different waves.  One was with 8, the other was 6.  Both waves were preforming tasks last night, mostly just filling the pond that I dezoned after I got 1/7 on all tiles for a farm.  I had finished some ramps for my excessively long main entrance after I realized I had messed up most of them before closing it.  I had the dwarf caravan come and go last night too.  It wasn't until I opened it up this morning that I ran into this problem.  This may have started right after I finished the ramps but it shouldn't be the ramps since I have a back entrance that leads to the murky pools/trees in the back right corner of the embark site.

Just to see, try creating a (mason based) building job near where the immigrants are hanging out, and see a) what items come up in the menu as available to make the building, and b) if the mason actually starts working.

It sounds like your immigrants got cut off from the fort somehow; if the build list is empty or missing most of your items, it would indicate there's no path.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:44 pm »

Yea, turns out the ramps were stopping them.  Which makes no sense at all because they worked last night and everything was fine...  I didn't even change anything with the ramps that would cause them to just stop working.