Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasming of stone  (Read 724 times)

snailstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasming of stone
« on: November 20, 2006, 10:36:00 am »

It'd be nice if we could toss excess stone in the chasm. After a few years, I easily have tens of thousands of rocks cluttering up my fortress and causing the game to bog down terribly when i enable rock hauling.

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasming of stone
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »

You can, you just need the Bookkeeper (with his Stocks screen) in order to do it, and it seems pretty tedious. I typically set a bunch of catapults to throw constantly, that will eat up a little of the stone, and I try to churn the rest into stone crafts to sell/give away to the human caravan.

John Hopoate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

I doubt that anyone has ever stockpiled 20,000 pieces of stone (that's about the most I've ever mined), let alone made them into things or spent an entire day designating them to be chasmed.

snailstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

how do you cause catapults to throw constantly without a target? and i've pissed off both the human and elven caravans so i could murder their armies with my steam defense for fun  :D

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:15:00 pm »

"Fire at will".

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 03:10:00 am »

"fire at will" is a bit strange option, I would consider

- "fire at targets of opportunity"
- "training"
- "fire at designated target"

to be more appropriate.

snailstick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:35:00 am »

I've set them to fire at will but my dwarves never touch them (they have the seige operating job enabled). but a 'chasm stone' order through the (o)rders menu would be much nicer..

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by snailstick:
<STRONG>I've set them to fire at will but my dwarves never touch them (they have the seige operating job enabled). but a 'chasm stone' order through the (o)rders menu would be much nicer..</STRONG>

siege operating is not a high priority job, you have to disable other jobs (specially hauling) if you want your dwarves to train in siege operating.  It takes about a year or so to get a new dwarf to legendary if the stone supply is close to the catapult.

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

I have two opinions on this subject, I haven't decided which one I truly favor:

1. Make stone blocks with your masons and stone crafts with your craftsmen, both of these go in bins.

2. Just ignore the stone, only bother to set up stone stockpiles in the following circumstances:

A. Immediately after mining out an area you need cleaned for farming/building placement/etc

B. Small stone stockpiles near buildings which use stone as a resource.

2 is a recent observation, and I've found it to be relatively useful because I really only bother to set one or two dwarves to haul stone now, and other things get done.

Now, if you absolutely positively want a clean floor, stone crafts and stone blocks are the way to go.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »

3 catapults have consumed thousands of stone in the last game I've played (3-4 years?)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

I've taken to not creating stockpiles for nearly anything -- food, obviously, and a little ore and limestone stockpile near the smelters.  Otherwise I build shops near the resources, and use up their output quickly or just relocate them to keep them from getting cluttered.

I couldn't clear the ratmen corpses from my chasm bridge fast enough to avoid miasma, so I just turned off refuse hauling, and have a nearby bonecarver furiously at work on whatever's left.  Hauling is for pansies.    ;)

qalnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

I typically create stockpiles for finished goods as well, because it makes moving crap to the trade depot much less annoying.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 06:36:00 am »

A legendary mason can deal with stone pretty quickly.  Have him build lots of things with it, but mainly turn it into blocks...  blocks can be stacked in large numbers in bins and used for building projects later.

Other uses for it include making crafts, mechanisms, and rockfall traps.  There is always something to do with new mechanisms, in particular.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 05:06:00 pm »

Right, having someone do things for skill with the stone is better than hauling it around.  Stone blocks, mechanisms, and crafts are always useful eventually.  Stone blocks are better for building because the builder won't wander around for random stones, you know where they come from.

I'll usually build a new mason shop and block stockpile near where I have an elaborate aqueduct setup planned.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 08:37:00 pm »

Chasming stone isn't a great idea.  It takes just as long to haul it to the chasm as it would to haul it to stockpiles, so you don't save worker time.  I tried it once, using the stocks menu to select a bunch of stone to be tossed, and my productive fortress nearly ground to a halt.    :(