Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Few General Suggestions to Make Maging Your Dwarves Easier  (Read 736 times)

Fenn the Fool

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Few General Suggestions to Make Maging Your Dwarves Easier
« on: April 13, 2010, 02:30:56 pm »

Let me preface by saying I understand that the current focus is on the polishing and tuning of the recently added content, and I think that should remain top priority for the time being.  Once development returns to the core gameplay here are a few suggestions that I think would make managing dwarves, especially in large numbers, much easier.

1. Designated Profession
Every dwarf should have a "designated profession", a dwarf will always perform jobs of their designated profession before jobs of other professions like hauling.  By default a dwarf's designated profession is the one that they are the most skilled at, but it may be changed manually.  A dwarf's title is then determined by his designated profession, so when you tell your third migrant bone carver that furnace operating is his designated profession his title immediately changes to "furnace operator".  This change coupled with a log of when a dwarf migrated to your fortress and when his designated profession has been changed will make it much easier to keep track of who you have doing what.

2. "You there, go do this!"
I would very much like to see the option to instruct a particular dwarf to immediately go do a particular task.  This will allow you to get those important jobs done in a timely fashion, whether that job is vital to the survival of the fort or simply necessary for further production such as making your first piece of coke.  Secondly this addition would be very easy to understand for new players and could ease them into the game by asking follow up questions to such orders like: "That job requires a Mason, I am not trained as a Mason but would you like me to do masonry tasks anyway?" and "I can't do that because we need more mechanisms, would you like to know how to create mechanisms?".

3. Apprenticeships
Dwarves should be able to apprentice under more skilled dwarves.  The apprentice would assist his master by hauling the requisite items to the workshop and perhaps bringing food and drink as well (though I don't think this should allow a dwarf to take all of his meals in the workshop as the dining hall should remain an integral part of the fortress).  In this way the master gets a slight increase in production speed and the apprentice gains experience in the craft without having to churn out piles of low quality items.