Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic  (Read 807 times)

Fuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magic
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

I don't know if this has been suggested or not.

I was reading some of the cores and magic happens to be one of them.  When magic is put into the game I hope there will be a way to disable it in the world creation or something.  Magic can be cool some times, it can also get in the way, or be the way your fortress ends.  Like if your arch-mage thinks it cool to make a artifact out of grass, steel, cheese, paper, and computer RAM.  Now your not going to find computer RAM lying around your fortress to build a bracelet or something dumb.your mage thinks being emo isn't good enough and that taking every one down with him/her is cool and tries to kills every one in the fortress.  To prevent that vs. not using strange moods, make magic an optional thing to use.  Magic will most likely make the game cooler but I and maybe others don't want to aways play with magic.

tl;dr
Make magic optional.

tray Kitten (Tame) has adopted Fuzz.  Bay Watcher.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Magic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

considering that a simple change of yes to no can cut things like weather and temperature off completetly, disabling magic will be easy. The only thing that might prove difficult is if it was ingrained into the game world (ie magic is the new electricity) but I doubt toady will do that, or at least on that scale.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>considering that a simple change of yes to no can cut things like weather and temperature off completetly, disabling magic will be easy. The only thing that might prove difficult is if it was ingrained into the game world (ie magic is the new electricity) but I doubt toady will do that, or at least on that scale.</STRONG>

Well, you'd need to spawn wizards, magical items, magical academies  , and various other things. It should probably be an option during worldgen, rather than an init file toggle.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

If you'd give even the slightest attention to reading the forum you're posting in, there's been like 10 threads about magic in the last few weeks.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>If you'd give even the slightest attention to reading the forum you're posting in, there's been like 10 threads about magic in the last few days.</STRONG>

Also whatever happened to that swell magic suggestorium?

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Also whatever happened to that swell magic suggestorium?

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]</STRONG>

I've been working 10 hour shifts, which effectively kills magic.
So, I'm gonna wait for a few more versions to pass and I can discuss some stuff with Toadius before making the thread.