Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adding shells  (Read 2609 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adding shells
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »

It's completely different for vermin, I think.  As is, if a vermin dies, you only get a vermin corpse, and I think only fish can be dissected into multiple objects.  The best I can think of is either a custom reaction that consumes a vermin to produce shells, or using a tag to produce a shell on death (like with a bronze colossus)

Actually, if you add SHELL to any BODY: plan, you'll get shells when you butcher the animal. I know the BODY plan tag for SHELL claims [VERMIN_BUTCHER_ITEM] but it'll still work for cows or whatever if you add SHELL to cows.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 09:27:46 am »

I've been looking for this topic for quite a while since I'm in the same position as the OP.  I tried adding the shell tags to mountain goats.  I followed FACM's advice upthread.  Assuming #3 is the put that tag after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]

The problem I have is, after my butcher kills the goat, DF crashes.  I'd made a backup, which runs just fine after this point, so it shouldn't be something else.  It could be to do with where I put the tags.  Would someone mind having a look and telling me if I messed something up?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I listed down to the body size description with changes highlighted.  Presumably, no changes need to be made after that point, or that could be where my problem is.  I don't know what order I need to put the tags, so I tried to follow the SNAILMAN entry.  In it, there's also a tag [PREFSTRING:shells], which I tried both with and without, both get a crash.

Please help, my armorsmith finally got a mood and my ponds have all dried up :(

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 11:03:59 am »

Okay looks like SHELL is in the right place... Ah I think you have [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHELL_POSITIONS] in the wrong place, put it after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] or at least thats where it is in on my creatures.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 11:25:50 am »

I need to make snail people butcherable.
I have an army of snail people above me.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:01 pm »

Okay looks like SHELL is in the right place... Ah I think you have [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHELL_POSITIONS] in the wrong place, put it after [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE] or at least thats where it is in on my creatures.

Cheers!  I'll give it a shot when I get home then.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:47 am »

Eureka!  Man, I feel like the f-ing master of the universe right now.  I got home and tried userpay's suggestion, switching the tags around, but no dice.  Thinking I might have changed something in the other raws while trying to alter reactions to create shell, I copied the mtn goat raw over to my backup, but it still crashed.  It even crashed when I tried copying in the dwarven pig info from here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53533.0 into the mountain goat raw.  I thought since it has shells it would work, and maybe the crash was something to do with how the strings were added in mountain goat.  But no go.

I realized it only crashed when I went to look inside the butcher's shop to see if the shell had been created, something that I always did.  So, I tried using a new butcher's shop.  I deconstructed the original one and built another near by.  Worked like a charm.

So, the two lessons to take from this:

1. It's not that important where you put the strings for shells, since the dwarven pig had them in really strange places, it's not to do with that.
2.  Use a new building if you're changing the raws.  Who knows why, but it didn't like showing me what it held.  I wonder if it's because I'd slaughtered goats in there before and it still had their products inside.  Maybe it freaked out because it couldn't locate the shells that never existed.

PS:  thought you might like to see what he made.  There isn't even any shell visible!  WTF!? Value is ~65k.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:21:19 am by Jhoosier »

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:46 am »

I think artifacts might be a bit bugged, I swear that they keep getting made out of things that the mood dwarf doesn't grab first.
Pages: 1 [2]