Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark builds?  (Read 1036 times)

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
Embark builds?
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:24:39 pm »

Yeah, we don't really have unlimited points for skills and items now that anvils only cost 100 dwarfbucks. Anybody have a good build, I really have no idea how to make the best embark party in 0.31.02

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark builds?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:30:56 pm »

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:13:43 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53614.0

Didn't see that, but it looks like the topic is about sites, not items/skills used.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:53 pm »

Then keep reading.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »

So, starting with an anvil is a great way to gain points - just don't start with axes and picks.  2x copper + 2x tin + anvil + charcoal + 5 bituminous coal is less than 2 axes + 2 picks.  (You could start without hte charcoal and make a wood burning stove to make charcoal, but the savings is marginal relative to the tempo hit).  I also tend to ditch the splints and crutches, and if i'm keeping any thread/cloth i switch to silk since its cheaper than pig tail now.

You can alternately woodcut with practice axes, so if that doesn't feel like cheating to you then you can make your axes out of your wagon with carpentry (!!!)

IIRC, 7 fully skilled dwarves + anvil + 3xtin/copper pairs + 5 bit. coal + 1 charcoal + 6 random stone (initial workshops) leaves you enough for 84 booze (21 each) + enough food to last until you get farming (assuming any water on your map) + a breeding pair of, say, cows.  If you don't want the cows, you can buy a lot more.

I start by making 2x smelters, a forge, a kitchen, and a still immediately with 5/6 random stone.  1st smelter starts turning coal into coke, 2nd smelter starts making bronze as soon as there's enough coke.  forge makes picks and possibly axes.  I don't start with skilled furnace operators, and I still tend to have a pick before day 5.  Not necessarily recommended if you expect hostiles on the map when you arrive.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:09 pm »

For a start, all those medical supplies you see there? Do you plan on getting worse then a bruise or two in the first year? No? THEN GET RID OF IT!]

You do not need any medical supplies until LONG after you can make it all yourself.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:01:11 pm »

We don't need two of these threads.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »

For a start, all those medical supplies you see there? Do you plan on getting worse then a bruise or two in the first year? No? THEN GET RID OF IT!]

You do not need any medical supplies until LONG after you can make it all yourself.
What you plan and what actually happens aren't always similar :P

We don't need two of these threads.
Agreed...
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.