Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flatter Caverns  (Read 1787 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Flatter Caverns
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55:46 am »

what do you guys settle on, flat plains?  I settle on mountainsides and next to waterfalls - my surface is often more up-and-down than my caverns!
I almost always settle by mountainsides, unless I want to do something special and role-play, and set up a surface farm, surface border fortress protecting a bridge, or whatever. VisualFortress is always incredibly handy, especially in the first few minutes of the game when you're trying to make sense of your surroundings and deciding where to place your fortress entrance.

DF is a 3D game, with 3D surface terrain -- caverns should be no different.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

You caught me, I actually want to roll DF back to 2D!  Shoot, now I'll have to try a different tactic. 

I embarked on a volcanic island, and like all the mountainous terrain in DF, it's pretty and easy to deal with/visualize.  Caverns, at least on the default setting, seem to be z-level after z-level of up/down ramps, with occasional small landings.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:09 pm »

What if the top cavern was flattish and then they got progressively more "wild" as they got deeper?

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:22 pm »

If you wander around with an adventurer you will find vast flat areas in the underground that have huge patches where it's all one height and all you need to do is clear out all the stone pillars, with only a few single z level bumps up or down that also result in flat patches.

On the other end of the spectrum, you get nasty places like I have found with 10-15 z level deep potholes with cliffs and monsters that are nightmarishly difficult to navigate (Especially when you dodge down a 15 floor hole). It's not so much that there aren't flat caverns, it's just that you have embarked where they are not.

Personally I think they add character to the underground, but flatter higher up and nightmarishly difficult down the bottom works too, and would definitely be interesting.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 07:25:48 pm »

As Julius Clonkus already mentioned, you can already get wide open caverns by adjusting the worldgen.

Min openness to 100 and max density to 0 gives you vast open caverns without all the little pillars.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 08:03:19 pm »

If they bother you THAT much, just build a floor over it.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:37 pm »

Well, since nobody made the joke...

Oh, you're such a loverly cavern!
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.
Pages: 1 [2]