Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Expanded Weapon List Concepts  (Read 1467 times)

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Weapon List Concepts
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:06 am »

Even then, the particular sword pictured has a very pronounced tip.  Assuming it's properly sharpened, that would be a great stabbing weapon, at least against lightly armored enemies.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:10:00 am »

And this is how it works now in DF. Armored enemies are better to be hammered/bashed, while unarmored are prone to piercing attacks, which go deep through tissues.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:55 am »

I've found, while playing Adventure and screwing about in the Arena, that hammers and maces aren't really all that good against armor.  Or anything that's alive at all.  All they can really do is incapacitate an enemy, it basically won't kill anything unless it specifically hits hard on the ribs or skull.  I've gotten as high as 50+ attacks, counting up as I go, on various unarmored people and beasts.  Sure, they're down and can't attack, BUT in Fortress mode they're still a significant threat to productivity, for both the military and civilians.  Swords and axes are almost certainly more effective against the armored since, while it will take a while, that hit that gets around or through armor may sever, and will certainly cause blood loss.  Hitting someone armored, with a blunt weapon, is fruitless.  You'll almost never be able to kill them because the armor is adding spare protection.

I'd say add the characteristic spike to it, but stabbing's fairly broken right now, too.  When I added it to my own hammers for testing, it would still take an excess of 30 rounds to cause fatal bleeding, and that's against unarmored animals.

The damage system in DF needs to be reworked again.  It's got the basis for being great, but it's plagued by issues like these.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:14:34 am by Shima »
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 05:13:36 am »

Hammers are great to cripple joints. But a creature with broken joints and high recuperation may live years of (worthless) life :P. However it will be unable to attack.

Critters without joints are less prone to blunt attacks though... It reminds me that I should add joints to all critters for the 1.0 release of Genesis mod.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:16:17 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 06:50:17 am »

The short sword is fine as it is -- suitable for both stabbing and slashing.  I don't understand why you would change the slashing attack to blunt, though.  Are they slapping the enemy with their swords?  That's already defined two attacks down.
  It's supposed to represent a sword with a dull edge but a sharp point; my primary motivation was to give the elves a sword that they could plausibly fashion from wood. This is mostly a flavour mod anyway, but historically swords have tended to be optimised for one form of attack at the expense of the other, with general-purpose weapons being somewhat less common.
Maybe he attended a Hammerdwarf lecture.
This was in arena mode, though. My modded-in "spearbows" kept the basic blunt attack, however. Perhaps that had something to do with it?

Oh, and if being able to stab someone with a scimitar isn't the oversight it first appeared to be, being able to stab someone with a macahuitl certainly is.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:18 am »

When a weapon has multiple attacks, how do the users select which attack to use?
Equal random chance for each attack?

Skie

• Bay Watcher
  • ~♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 04:08:56 pm »

I made my sergals use Zweihanders (basically a two-handed sword, but longer and heavier?), Bec De Corbins (Polehammer), War Scythes and Partisans. Just for fun and variety.
The scythe and zweihander sergals are really terrifying. Body parts fly in beautiful arcs everywhere.
Skie, Modmaker cancels modcrafting: Went insane.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 05:21:27 pm »

When a weapon has multiple attacks, how do the users select which attack to use?
Equal random chance for each attack?
From experiments with this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the slam and jab attacks are much rarer. If I remove the multiple bash attacks down to one, they seem to come more often. So I'd say it's randomly selected.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2]