Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "SPEED1" cheat?  (Read 2716 times)

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "SPEED1" cheat?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:35:28 am »

Does that work. It seems to me that once a game is started it makes a copy of the raw files and sticks with that.

You can alter that copy of the raws though, and the game respects that.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 07:37:43 am »

I use SPEED 1 all the time, and it works perfectly. If I don't use it then the game is unplayable because my standard game averages a FPS of 10 - 15 on embark

How do you deal with the combat benefits this gives? I wouldn't mind faster moving dwarves but the fact it makes them practically unbeatable in combat always annoyed me.
It only makes them invincible to everything but flesh balls and the new HFS.

Diomedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:40 am »

Oh I see there's a copy of the RAW map in the savegame file now. You are right.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 08:19:28 am »

Beginning of my creature_standard.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Default speed is 900. I found 400 or so a bit too fast and it's twice the speed. It only takes them half the time to get things done.

I have found that in previous versions if your fortress gets huge and population gets like 150 then Dwarves start to eat and sleep before they finished a single task because of walking distances, making the game unplayable. Of course now there's burrows.

How insanely fast is [Speed:1] Does that mean everything gets carried out instantly? So you can pause the game, spend hours designating an insane fortress with towers walls and deep labyrinths, turn off pause and immediately it's all done, if you computer can handle it?

I recommend speeds between 400 and 900. Anything less is too blunt cheating. Elves have default speed of 700. If you don't increase the speed your fortress may get to a grinding halt when it gets too big because of the pathfinding and the inefficient way dwarves carry out stuff.

Agility affects speed. But if you change agility you also change everything else influenced by agility.

No. Stuff still takes time, and it depends of your framerate too. They also till need to eat, drink and sleep, which if I'm not mistaken does not become faster. It instead takes a few/several seconds/minutes/hours to complete everything instead of months. A whole fort by my standards (used to be about 100*100 squares on 15 z-levels, sometimes more) took a few days.

And thank Armok someone told me this! I can finally do megaprojects in sufficient time.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 06:22:21 am »

I use SPEED 1 all the time, and it works perfectly. If I don't use it then the game is unplayable because my standard game averages a FPS of 10 - 15 on embark

How do you deal with the combat benefits this gives? I wouldn't mind faster moving dwarves but the fact it makes them practically unbeatable in combat always annoyed me.

Because it doesn't make them unbeatable, by any stretch of the imagination, unless they are legendary, and/or wearing multiple layers of high-quality Adamantine armor. I had an entire squad of [SPEED:1] Dwarves wiped out by a squad of normal goblins; the dwarves were ill-equipped.

In short, it gives an advantage, but not a very big one.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:22 am »

Attacking every frame rather than every 10 or so frames is a very big advantage.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:35 pm »

Attacking every frame rather than every 10 or so frames is a very big advantage.

Alright, fine. But I'm not competing against anyone, and it is not stopping me from having FUN.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 05:31:57 am »

Alright, fine. But I'm not competing against anyone, and it is not stopping me from having FUN.

I have no problem with that, I asked if there was a solution to that because it does stop me having FUN. I didn't mean to imply you should change the way you play.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 09:52:55 am »

If you read the combat logs, you'll see that most of the attacks between highly-skilled opponents aren't direct strikes, but counterattacks. Thus, the slower combatant actually has an advantage, because he'll get more counterattacks.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.
Pages: 1 [2]