Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]

Author Topic: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]  (Read 56423 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New version - first impressions [Spoilers!]
« Reply #525 on: April 10, 2010, 02:28:54 am »

Waitwhat-
Reading back on page one, with the version I'm using now, there's supposed to be 150 z-levels? Because I have about 20 and then there's about 9 of HFS. And then nothing accessible. I lost 5 dwarves making sure. Sadness..
It depends on worldgen settings.
If you use default world, it has these enormous 150-level maps, if you use params, it will have much less z-levels. You can change it in advanced params.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:49 pm »

Waitwhat-
Reading back on page one, with the version I'm using now, there's supposed to be 150 z-levels? Because I have about 20 and then there's about 9 of HFS. And then nothing accessible. I lost 5 dwarves making sure. Sadness..
It depends on worldgen settings.
If you use default world, it has these enormous 150-level maps, if you use params, it will have much less z-levels. You can change it in advanced params.
Gah...
Of course.
I just really wanted more embark points to do a megaproject. AS IT TURNS OUT, The HFS sever-ly restricts that ability.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2010, 10:32:21 pm »

Yea, personally I'm hoping that with the next bug fix we see some more lava vents then almost breach the surface.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #528 on: April 10, 2010, 11:03:44 pm »

Yea, personally I'm hoping that with the next bug fix we see some more lava vents then almost breach the surface.
How is that a bug fix? I'd rather he work on making some of the actually broken things work rather than adding new unnecessary features.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 10, 2010, 11:17:03 pm »

How is that a bug fix? I'd rather he work on making some of the actually broken things work rather than adding new unnecessary features.

Exactly. We already have oceans of magma everywhere. Fixing pathfinding and the military is much more important.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 11, 2010, 12:12:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47:39 am »

Give me the tileset and nobody gets hurt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 11, 2010, 01:49:10 am »

Here it is

I also have a graphics tileset (for dwarven professions) but it won't work with DF2010 until the 40#d merge.

In addition to adding shading and detail to object tiles, this tileset also makes use of unused tiles for creature and character faces (I was tired of looking at letters)
these faces may show as letters in other languages...

NOTES ON CHARACTER TILES (add these numbers to the creature raw files)
1 = bald bearded face: used for dwarves
2 = helmeted bearded face: used for military dwarves and bronze colossi
10 = tusked beast face: used for elephants and warthogs
13 = fanged beast face: used for wolves and giant bats
29 = shark fin: used for sharks.
38 = horned goatee face: used for demons and satyrs
64 = crowned bearded face: used for merchants and adventurers
141 = cat face: used for cats, fluffy wamblers, marmots, other cute creatures
144 = fair face with long hair: used for elves, mermaids, other pretty creatures
148 = pointy ears angry face: used for goblins, fire imps, gremlins, other annoying creatures
151 = horned beast face: used for goats,foul blendecs, or domestic livestock
153 = dog face: used for dogs, kobolds, giant rats, similar beasts
154 = bear face: used for bears and giant cats
158 = antlered beast face: used for deer, elk and unicorns
164 = brute face: used for ogres, mud men, cyclopes, other brutish creatures
165 = long hair goatee face: used for humans and man-shaped creatures (giants, elementals)
166 = bird face: used for cave swallows, giant eagles
170 = horned reptile face: used for dragons and hydras
171 = reptile face: used for snakemen, cave crocodiles, reptile men
172 = insect face: used for ant men and giant cave spiders
182 = troll face: used for trolls, ettins, and other savage creatures
245 = muskox face: used for domestic livestock, and wild muskoxen

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:18 pm »

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6589/999d.png

This guys must've been so incredibly pissed when world-gen ended at 1050, leaving him just short of that 1000th kill :D

On a sidenote: are cyclopses the most aggressive (semi)megabeasts for you, too?
Bronze Colossi get somewhat close, scoring 3-400 on a good day, but cyclopses get that most of the time, some reaching 600+, and this guy just topped everything. The other megabeasts seem tame in comparison, only getting a kill every 5-10 years.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:34 pm »

On a sidenote: are cyclopses the most aggressive (semi)megabeasts for you, too?
Bronze Colossi get somewhat close, scoring 3-400 on a good day, but cyclopses get that most of the time, some reaching 600+, and this guy just topped everything. The other megabeasts seem tame in comparison, only getting a kill every 5-10 years.

I haven't checked legends much.  How are giants?  I had *two* show up in my [home] fort, one right after the other.  I think I lost (total) 3 dogs (untrained strays) and a recruit.  The recruit died from injuries, as he was being dragged to the hospital (he'd have made it if the dwarf who took the task hadn't been off in fucknowhere, I mean seriously, he went down RIGHT NEXT TO THE WAGON WHERE I HAVE 38 IDLERS).  One dog was severely injured, but survived (has a red lung and red "false rib" at current).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 11, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

Exactly. We already have oceans of magma everywhere. Fixing pathfinding and the military is much more important.

What I meant was, with the next update that fixes many of the bugs we have right now, such as path finding and what not, there is a small change to include some more higher lava vents. I never indicated that we get lava INSTEAD of less bugs.

Interpret before you condemn.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2010, 07:48:31 pm »

I haven't checked legends much.  How are giants?  I had *two* show up in my [home] fort, one right after the other.  I think I lost (total) 3 dogs (untrained strays) and a recruit.  The recruit died from injuries, as he was being dragged to the hospital (he'd have made it if the dwarf who took the task hadn't been off in fucknowhere, I mean seriously, he went down RIGHT NEXT TO THE WAGON WHERE I HAVE 38 IDLERS).  One dog was severely injured, but survived (has a red lung and red "false rib" at current).
Giants and Ettins do some damage, but they're very busy stealing *prickle berry wine* instead of killing people and razing houses. Havn't seen one with more than 200 kills to his name in this large region.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2010, 09:23:01 pm »

adventurers seem overpowered in this version. I just fell through the floor and broke a bunch of bones, and now I'm beating up a demon with a bronze bolt. Also I'm only wearing a hat, nothing else.

that's a pool of my blood up in the corner there! also I only have one hand.
I think that's because adventurers start with higher stats than normal, and I think that's because Toady figured that if they didn't we'd all just do laps in the local water temple's pond until they did.

I made a giant praying mantis megabeast with a carapace made entirely of slade (although I made it a lot more fragile than normal, otherwise nothing scratches it). Amusingly, the same creature that's next-to-impossible to even damage in the arena rarely ever makes it through worldgen alive :/ Still, it's pretty fun to watch it hack limbs off of fully-armored dwarves. I love the material rewrite.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #538 on: April 12, 2010, 07:23:34 am »

What I meant was, with the next update that fixes many of the bugs we have right now, such as path finding and what not, there is a small change to include some more higher lava vents. I never indicated that we get lava INSTEAD of less bugs.

Interpret before you condemn.
Interpret? How am I supposed to know you didn't mean what you typed? If you want surface+ magma vents embark on a volcano for now. I'm sure if he feels the need for old style magma pipes he will put them in, but I see no great need for them now that every site is guaranteed to have magma and you can put it wherever you want it pretty easily.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]